CyberNerd Posted February 17, 2013 Posted February 17, 2013 Continuing my "research" using osx; Most of the useful stuff is already here: python, vim,emacs, bash, grep, sed, awk, scp, ssh. But there is a bunch of things I need that is missing. How do I add useful repositories? I want to install things like minicom,nmap I'm using "11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2" which probably means a tiger, leopard or something.
Arthur Posted February 17, 2013 Posted February 17, 2013 HomeBrew is a very popular package manager for OS X. You can browse the entire list of packages here (minicom and nmap are both there). I'm using "11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2" which probably means a tiger, leopard or something. That's Lion (v10.7.5). 1
Arthur Posted February 17, 2013 Posted February 17, 2013 (edited) It's probably worth mentioning MacPorts too. Since it has been around a lot longer than HomeBrew, there are more far more packages available (over 16,000). HomeBrew and MacPorts both have their own advantages and disadvantages so you may want to try each out to see which one you prefer. Edited February 17, 2013 by Arthur Spelling
CyberNerd Posted February 17, 2013 Author Posted February 17, 2013 cheers. I'm at risk of becoming an apple fanboi. not cool.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now