Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Continuing my "research" using osx;

 

Most of the useful stuff is already here: python, vim,emacs, bash, grep, sed, awk, scp, ssh. But there is a bunch of things I need that is missing. How do I add useful repositories? I want to install things like minicom,nmap

 

I'm using "11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2" which probably means a tiger, leopard or something.

Posted

HomeBrew is a very popular package manager for OS X. You can browse the entire list of packages here (minicom and nmap are both there).

 

I'm using "11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2" which probably means a tiger, leopard or something.

That's Lion (v10.7.5). :)

  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

It's probably worth mentioning MacPorts too. Since it has been around a lot longer than HomeBrew, there are more far more packages available (over 16,000).

 

HomeBrew and MacPorts both have their own advantages and disadvantages so you may want to try each out to see which one you prefer.

Edited by Arthur
Spelling

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...