Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi...

 

I am wondering if anyone has successfulldeployeded VB6 and MSDN via GPO? client machines are a mixture of Win 7 Pro and Win 7 Ent....all are x64 though. (if required, the servers/dc are 2008 R2)

 

I know its an ancient program but the ICT department still teaches it :-/

 

I get so far when manually running the msi i have created....somecouldn'touldnt be registered (cant for the life of me remember what the file is though) but clicking ignore seems to let the installation continue however I am not aware what knock affect this will have.

 

The way I created the msi was using a virtual Win 7 machine, ran winstallLE (?!) to take a 'before snapshot', created a zerobyte file in c:\windows called MSJAVA.DLL (so that the VB doesn'tl doesnt require a reboot andoesn'tt doesnt install a very old ver of Java), then installed MSDN (in full) followed by VB6 itself.

 

I then ran winstallLE to take an 'after snapshot' and this then creates a MSI with the changes it has found.

 

Any suggestions (other than stop teaching VB6) are welcome.

 

Many thanks in advance.

 

Regards,

 

Cookie

Posted

Decided against the MSI route as I couldnt get it to work at all :(

 

Is anyone able to advise how to install this manually but still let restricted users (i.e. students) still run the software properly.

 

I have found I can install VB6 and MSDN correctly when logged in as a student, but when I try to add a component, it crashes.....unless I am logged in as a network or local admin.

 

I feel like I have exhausted all avenues, the one and only reg hack (for win2k) didnt work at all.

 

Any ideas are welcome.

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Cookie

Posted

I had a nightmare with this on Windows XP, so I am suprised it works well on Windows 7 64bit.

 

I found with components, if you add them as admin, then log out and add them as a student they should work, or did on XP.

 

Can you not use a newer version of visual studio ?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...