Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi

 

I am just in the early processes of looking at implementing a Citrix environment here for initially just one room of 30 machines and for external access. I went to BETT to investigate more and found some really useful information. I have since been speaking to A2Z Computers and they have given a lot more information and all important pricing. I just want to make sure that I am getting the right spec servers etc.

 

After visiting another school locally yesterday afternoon where they had 13 Citrix servers and another one for licensing/gateway I think that I am going to go for 2 separate ones. He recommended about 25 clients per server.

 

1. What spec server should I need?

2. Is 25 per server the right ratio or can I get away with more?

3. What sort of price should I be paying for the server?

 

Hope that all makes sense and any other recommendations and do's and don’ts are much appreciated.

 

Thanks

 

Dan

Posted

I spread 75 users over 4x Dell Poweredge 860's (4Gb Ram, Dual Core Conroe Xeon 3060 2.4GFhz CPU) with Citrix Presentation server 4.5

 

Additionally I have a Fujitsu RX220 (Opeteron of some description, 2Gb Ram) running the licensing and database.

Posted

Can I suggest that you look at Sun Ray and Sun Secure Global Desktop also.

 

The cost is less than Citrix and is a chunk easier to manage.

 

We have a number of schools using it. Some are users of this site.

 

I can arrange a visit to one of our schools if you would like.

 

We usually work on 30 concurrent connection to the application server which is

 

2 Dual core 2216 Opterons

4 GB RAM

2 mirrored SATA/SAS drives

 

These come in at around £1,950 each

 

For Sun Ray SGD you will need another unit running these bits

 

Drop me a PM and I can talk you through it a bit more.

 

Or drop Grumbledook a message. He is one of my customers.

 

Tis good kit

 

Andy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...