zag Posted November 3, 2009 Posted November 3, 2009 Is anyone else running the sims backend on an SSD drive? We had a HDD failure a while back so I decided to replace it with one of the new Intel 32nm SSD drives. Its working well and is very quick to connect the shared drive and load up sims now. I'm just wondering if anyone else is doing this or if there are any disadvantages?
dhicks Posted November 3, 2009 Posted November 3, 2009 I'm just wondering if anyone else is doing this or if there are any disadvantages? I think SSDs are past the limited-number-of-writes stage by now, try: Coding Horror: The State of Solid State Hard Drives -- David Hicks
matt40k Posted November 3, 2009 Posted November 3, 2009 SQL doesn't really do that many writes, most of the problems with SSD are to do with the older models, newer ones have clever methods to solve the problems and can handle billions of writes... having said that, I wouldn't like to try - Unless someone wants to give a pair of SSD hdds to try?
superfletch Posted November 3, 2009 Posted November 3, 2009 Given the generally better disk access speed of SSDs I can see it being really good for SIMS performance, especially thrown into a good server with the SQL set up optimised.
vikpaw Posted November 3, 2009 Posted November 3, 2009 Unless someone wants to give a pair of SSD hdds to try? I too, would be willing to do some testing if someone would like to offer aforementioned pair of SSD HDDs. I just priced up a tidy little netbook HP 5101 with a nice large SSD but can't quite justify the extra $300+ On the other hand if the performance really is that good, it could be worth it for SIMs.
zag Posted November 4, 2009 Author Posted November 4, 2009 The 160gb X-25M are "only" 300 quid these days and seem to work great. Connecting to the mapped network drive is particularly quick and is a noticeable improvement. Also rebooting the server takes about half the time now which actually makes a lot of difference with maintenance procedures. I'll report back if I have any problems but the old mechanical HDD only lasted a year in my Sims server so if it can beat that I will be happy I'm waiting for the SLC X-25E's to come down in price until I upgrade the rest of the servers.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now