+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 x64 Drivers for LSI 20160 SCSI Adaptor in Technical; I have just bought an LSI Logic LSI 20160 SCSI Adaptor card to fit into the PCI slot on an ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 x64 Drivers for LSI 20160 SCSI Adaptor

I have just bought an LSI Logic LSI 20160 SCSI Adaptor card to fit into the PCI slot on an HP Desktop machine running Windows 7 x64.

(This is so I can backup and recover files from tapes using a spare HP Tape Streamer which has an Ultra 160 SCSI port.)

However, on installing the card I have found there are no Windows 7 drivers available.

I have done a bit of research, and I understand that the drivers were provided with some versions of Windows 2008 x 64 server, but not the R2 variants. (They are not on our own 2008 R2 server.)

One forum post provided a list of driver files (see below), and suggests that the drivers from Server 2008 work perfectly well in 2008 R2, but are not signed; so presumably, they will also work in Windows 7 x64?

For the benefit of others I have upload this along with the other "legacy"
    LSI drivers.

Details from the INF files:
    SYM_HI.INF
    DevDesc2 = "LSI Logic 22910, 21002 PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C896 Device"
    DevDesc3 = "LSI Logic 8953U PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C895A Device"

SYMC8XX.INF
    DevDesc5 = "LSI Logic 8600SP PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C860 Device"
    DevDesc6 = "LSI Logic 8951U, 8952U PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C895 Device"
    DevDesc8 = "LSI Logic 875XS|D, 2280X PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C875, 53C876 Device"

SYM_U3.INF
    DevDesc1 = "LSI Logic Ultra160 PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C1010-33 Device"
    DevDesc2 = "LSI Logic Ultra160 PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C1010-66 Device"
    (There was also a link to a zip file containing the required drivers, but this was over two years old, and had evidently been removed. )

LSI say they have no plans to release drivers for Windows 7 or 2008 R2. The latest drivers listed on their website seem to be for Windows Xp and 2003.

The alternative is that I install a PCIe SCSI adaptor, but they don't come cheap.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thank Post
    The story rings a bell: I think that adapter might be one once used for tape drives in some model of RM server and if it is the same I did download those drivers from somewhere... never used because a new (supported) SCSI card seemed like a better plan. It might be a day or two before I figure out if I still have them though.

Thank Post
    Thank you. That would be great.

As I said, I could buy a new PCIe SCSI card, but apart from the cost (at least £100 + VAT), I have a brand new LSI20160 card and a vacant PCI slot, so it seems a pity not to use them.

I will keep my fingers crossed that you still have the drivers.

Nigel.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to Windows 7 forum.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Moving to Windows 7 forum.
    Thank you. I thought that was where I put it, but it seems I was mistaken.

Nigel.

Thank Post
    Hi

If you have them drivers it would be very handy , PLEASE PLEASE could you post them

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rckngslnd View Post
    Hi

If you have them drivers it would be very handy , PLEASE PLEASE could you post them
    If I find them I will gladly share them.

I take it you also have an LSI 20160 SCSI Adaptor which doesn't work with Windows 7?

Does anyone at all make a PCI SCSI card for Ultra 160 /320 SCSI that supports Windows 7 I wonder?

It is not just the high cost of the new PCIe SCSI cards which is an issue, it is also having a spare PCIe slot when there is a perfectly good PCI slot going begging.

Nigel.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would one of these do the trick, may be a little slow but looks to have 64bit drivers:
    Adaptec - Adaptec SCSI Card 29160
    Adaptec AHA- 29160LP PCI SCSI Card UNIVERSAL PCIX133

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Would one of these do the trick, may be a little slow but looks to have 64bit drivers:
    Adaptec - Adaptec SCSI Card 29160
    Adaptec AHA- 29160LP PCI SCSI Card UNIVERSAL PCIX133
    I think the 29160 LP might do the trick, but they don't seem easy to come by. I will have a look on fleabay.

You also have to be careful as some of these come in PCI-X flavour, which isn't always obvious. Furthermore, I am using a low profile PC, so I have to be doubly careful!

From what I see, nobody makes, or has made an Ultra 320 PCI card, or is that an oxymoron?

(In other words, would a PCI slot even support 320 MB/Second?)

Nigel

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Naughty_Nigel View Post
    I think the 29160 LP might do the trick, but they don't seem easy to come by. I will have a look on fleabay.

You also have to be careful as some of these come in PCI-X flavour, which isn't always obvious. Furthermore, I am using a low profile PC, so I have to be doubly careful!

From what I see, nobody makes, or has made an Ultra 320 PCI card, or is that an oxymoron?

(In other words, would a PCI slot even support 320 MB/Second?)

Nigel
    133MB/s for a 32 bit one Conventional PCI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia a lot of the PCI-X 64 ones will actually work on a 32bit bus by hanging the extra over the end of the slot. There is a gap in just the right place to allow this for some cards. The 133MB/s is shared too which is why PCI was such a limit, PCIe is a hell of a lot faster. I think the one I linked to is a LP card. Why would you inflict a LP case on yourself for a testing machine?

Thank Post
    Might get spanked for this, we'll see but the file I mentioned is attached (and that is what it was called). Again haven't got a clue whether it works as advertised, eats children and so on.
    Attached Files Attached Files

12. 2 Thanks to PiqueABoo:

Naughty_Nigel (14th June 2012), Yar (3rd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Might get spanked for this, we'll see but the file I mentioned is attached (and that is what it was called). Again haven't got a clue whether it works as advertised, eats children and so on.
    Thank you so much! It works! I got the usual warning messages from Micro$oft about people stealing my data, (they would have to be sad individuals), and it seemed to take a long time, but the card is now recognsied and works.

Regarding the SFF case; this is my desktop machine, which I wanted to attach an old LTO2 tape steamer to for various reasons. It is an HP Compaq machine with a quad core 3.0 GHz CPU and 8 GB of RAM, so it fairly flies along!

Thank you again.

Thank Post
    Thanks need to try on server tom, we let know if it works out ok

Thank Post

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Thanks these worked a treat on our server 2008 r2 64bit

Thank Post
    This was extremely well timed. I tried out the new driver/controller by connecting an LTO2 drive and running a full backup to a spare tape. (I donít' usually worry about workstation backups as everything is on the server.)

Anyhow, switched on this morning, "attempting to boot from HDD". Half an hour later, still "attempting to boot from HDD".

The original disk with Xp on it fired up without any problems, so we are currently transferring all the data back from the tape to a new HDD.

Just shows you can never rely on anything. This is an 18 month old HP machine which has never given a moment's problem before. Running WD diagnostic from another workstation it seems that the drive is recognised all the time, but is reading and writing only intermittently. Most odd.

NN
    Last edited by Naughty_Nigel; 19th June 2012 at 03:43 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast