+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 7 USer Defined Access Protection Rules in Technical; Hi there, I have a bit of a problem and I'm wondering if anyone can help. I'm running VSE8.7.0i, patch ...

Thank Post

Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 7 USer Defined Access Protection Rules

Hi there,

I have a bit of a problem and I'm wondering if anyone can help. I'm running VSE8.7.0i, patch 3 and the latest DAT's and Engine. I have set up a number of user defined rules in access protection policies to prevent the student in my school running files from a number of locations. I am blocking all processes the the folder/file name "h:\**\*.bat" This stops users creating batch files from their home area (see attached Image). I have an almost identical one for their destop, removable drives (E:/F and a couple of other places. This has been running fine for years on my XP machines however I recently purchased some Win 7 Machines and hit a problem. I noticed initally when I suddenly lost all my network drives. A little research showed this in the access protection log.

Code:

03/08/2010 14:10:43 Blocked by Access Protection rule  <domain>\<user> C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe \Device\Mup\<servername>l\netlogon\lginscrpt.bat User-defined Rules:BAT From H Action blocked : Read
    03/08/2010 14:12:55 Blocked by Access Protection rule  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Windows\system32\gpscript.exe \Device\Mup\<domain>\SysVol\Domain>\scripts\PhotoStory.bat User-defined Rules:BAT From H Action blocked : Read

Now for some reason the rule is blocking access. If I disable the rule then the next similar rule will block the file. If I disable all the rules then the batch file works. The thing is that this works on XP machines, I also cannot see how this location has violated the rule condtition. If I exclude those two processes then the flie is still blocked but the process is changed to cmd.exe which I didn't want to exclude as I want to make sure I stop the pupils running the batch files (rather than just gamling they are all run under the explorer process when in windows.

I also noticed that my exe blocking rule is stopping me copying files even though the source and destination locations don't violate the rule.

Anyone had anything similar or any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread