How do you do....it? Thread, Lego Mindstorms 'MyBlocks' save lcoation in Technical; Thought I'd post this for any of you running Lego MindStorms NXT on your network.
An issue that has cropped ...
13th August 2010, 03:34 AM #1
Lego Mindstorms 'MyBlocks' save lcoation
Thought I'd post this for any of you running Lego MindStorms NXT on your network.
An issue that has cropped up for us has been the save location of the 'MyBlocks' components. Although MindStorms allows you to save the project files wherever you like (our students put them in their home drives), the 'MyBlocks' components don't provide a traditional save as dialog box. After a bit of digging we worked out that they are saved to "C:\documents and settings\%username%\My Documents\Lego Creations\Mindstorms Projects\Profiles\Default\Blocks" which for us (and I'm sure most networks) is a problem. Students have no access to C: and the profiles are deleted on logoff, so our students would work on a PC, create and save a project, then add some MyBlocks. On logging on to another machine, the project would open, but the MyBlocks would be missing.
To get around this we did the following:
- grabbed a copy of the 'settings.ini' file from "C:\documents and settings\%username%\My Documents\Lego Creations\Mindstorms Projects\Profiles\Default\
- edited this file and changed the "Data Directory=/C/...." to "Data Directory=/H/"
- copied this up to a public share
- created a script that xcopies this file to "C:\documents and settings\%username%\My Documents\Lego Creations\Mindstorms Projects\Profiles\Default\" then starts the Mindstorms program
- Edited the desktop shortcut on the student machines to run this script instead of running Mindstorms directly
So the student runs the shortcut, xcopy copies the ini file, then Mindstorms runs (hardly any delay really). When they save a MyBlock now, it goes into their Home drive so it now becomes portable across the network
If anyone knows an alterantive or better way, please comment
Batch Script Attached legomindstorms2.zip
IDG Tech News
By GoldenWonder in forum How do you do....it?
Last Post: 21st June 2013, 01:28 PM
By profit10 in forum Network and Classroom Management
Last Post: 16th July 2010, 09:53 AM
By broc in forum General Chat
Last Post: 25th March 2010, 05:51 PM
By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
Last Post: 13th February 2010, 08:13 PM
By speckytecky in forum Educational Software
Last Post: 25th September 2006, 05:02 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
Tags for this Thread