+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, McAfee AntiVirus 8.7 on HP PCs in Technical; Not sure if this is the right place, but something I've seen come up increasingly is a problem with Mcafee ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries

McAfee AntiVirus 8.7 on HP PCs

Not sure if this is the right place, but something I've seen come up increasingly is a problem with Mcafee 8.7 not playing ball on HP laptops and desktops - mostly after installation it sits in the tray but disables everything important (on access scanner etc)

The problem lies within HP's bundled software - Virtual Firefox which I believe is built upon Altiris virtualisation?

Either way, fix is nice and easy - uninstall Altiris and/or Virtual Firefox, restart the PC and re-enable the important parts of Mcafee - or reinstall it. Job done

Thought as this is a bit of a "how on earth are they linked" issue that took a lot of Googling to find a fix for!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is the reason i wipe the OS on every machine we have. I never trust the manufacturers install, plus you would get rid of all the crappy software

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's also a great option, certainly agree. More often than not in the half day a week I get in schools I don't get time to do that. Mind you, I do often whats quicker : installing XP and software drivers or removing HP's slew of crapware - office 2007 trial, mcafee trial, all the HP software that comes with it.

Saying that, having done a few tablets of late - it is 10 minutes quicker installing all drivers manually from scratch, than it is using the supplied autorun driver CD that installs them all for you. Pure madness.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    That's also a great option, certainly agree. More often than not in the half day a week I get in schools I don't get time to do that. Mind you, I do often whats quicker : installing XP and software drivers or removing HP's slew of crapware - office 2007 trial, mcafee trial, all the HP software that comes with it.

Saying that, having done a few tablets of late - it is 10 minutes quicker installing all drivers manually from scratch, than it is using the supplied autorun driver CD that installs them all for you. Pure madness.
    I re call doing that a while back on 30 + machines - had to install the network card driver using a memory stick and then connected to a share on the domain after they were joined to the domain and installed the remainder of the drivers ( obviously they were all exactly the same as far as specs / hardware were concerned ie chipset, graphics card etc etc )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread