+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Icy Dock and SSD Issue - help in Technical; Got the OWC 6G SSD - Connected externally it works and detects it and I have erased and formatted as ...

Thank Post

Icy Dock and SSD Issue - help

Got the OWC 6G SSD - Connected externally it works and detects it and I have erased and formatted as HFS+ Journaled which worked fine

Put it back into the icy dock caddy which according to the install video / instructions you literally push a button to open the top, pop the drive in the right way around ( which I am ) and close the lid which inserts the 2.5 SSD up against an internal data and power connector for sata.

Put this into slot 1 on my mac pro and it doesnt detect it, look on the underside and it looks like its seated flushly - any suggestions please ?

This is the one I have ordered :

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/icy-d...-ssd-converter

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,763 Posts
    Have you tried this...?

We have done some extensive research on the issue with the MB982IP-1S in combination with the Mac Pro. We have found that the SATA connection between the MB982IP-1S and the Mac Pro is causing the issue. This is because of two things; the female SATA connector on the Mac Pro is much shorter than any other system that we have seen, second we have found that a very small amount of the SATA connectors have some sort of residue on the actual SATA connector on the MB982IP-1S maybe making a bad connection. The supplier of the SATA connector has been notified of the issue. We have also told our production line to check the connector to address any issues. Some of our customers that have had this issue have found that cleaning the SATA connector on the MB982IP-1S with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush have solved the problem. We recommend trying this solution to fix the problem, if problem still persists please contact us for further instructions. (Source)
    If that doesn't work (and you don't want to put the Icy Box enclosure in the optical drive bay), I would return it and get a MaxUpgrades bracket (P/N: SZ-MACPRO68S-01 for 2008 Mac Pro)...

3. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (2nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    I presume I would have to order it direct from there website in the USA, how much would that cost in total ?

Are there any places in the UK that sell these max upgrade items ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I presume I would have to order it direct from there website in the USA, how much would that cost in total?
    Shipping to the UK costs $25.95 (USPS Express International Service) so in total that would be $50.70 (~31). Add on to that Royal Mail's international handling fee of 8.00, plus 20% import VAT and you're probably looking at around 46-50

Are there any places in the UK that sell these max upgrade items?
    Not that I know of.
    Last edited by Arthur; 3rd June 2011 at 01:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Does cleaning the SATA connector make any difference?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,569 Times in 2,186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are you turning the computer off before you insert the drive, the SATA controller may not support hot swap (many don't) even though it is part of the SATA spec.

Thank Post
    Just thought of a cheaper alternative...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Are you turning the computer off before you insert the drive, the SATA controller may not support hot swap (many don't) even though it is part of the SATA spec.
    Yes, disconnect all cables inc power after a shutdown, take the side off and put the ssd into the icy dock enclosure, slide the icy dock into bay one, put the side back on, back behind the sofa and re connect all said cables and power back on - I am not trying to hot swap it

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Does cleaning the SATA connector make any difference?
    I haven't got any rubbing alcohol - unless someone can snail mail me a small bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Just thought of a cheaper alternative...

http://i.imgur.com/uHNXb.jpg
    How does the above work - I presume I would need to purchase that along with a long sata power lead and long sata data lead ?

Also I can't seem to find the 2 free / spare SATA ports on the motherboard / logic board
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 4th June 2011 at 01:18 PM.

Thank Post
    I haven't got any rubbing alcohol
    You can get a 250ml bottle of 99% pure isopropyl alcohol from eBay for 3.50. Much cheaper than Maplin's who only sell it in aerosol form. Be careful with it though, since it's highly flammable.

I presume I would need to purchase that along with a long SATA power lead and long SATA data lead?
    Yes. Might be more trouble than it's worth though?

Also I can't seem to find the 2 free / spare SATA ports on the motherboard / logic board
    The two additional SATA ports are hidden extremely well...

Thank Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tvZIyZWDTk

Found that video but im not gonna do that- too much faffing, think ill wait until I get the max upgrades sled, 3 more weeks isn't that much longer.

I dont feel comfortable paying anymore money for an icy dock that should work to start with, that's like buying a car with a full tank of fuel, oil etc and then being told you have to pay more for the keys

Cleaning some sata connectors when its not guaranteed to work is a waste of my money and time neither which I want to waste

Am going to go with the max upgrades sled and that should do what it says on the tin

Needless to say I won't be ordering from scan again, memoryc and aria will get my business !!!
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 4th June 2011 at 03:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    without being funny, why, when it's the fault of bad design on the Mac?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    without being funny, why, when it's the fault of bad design on the Mac?
    Max upgrades got a sled to work with 2.5" drives which clearly works as per youtube videos etc and if they advertised the icy dock as mac compatible then why is that not the case :

Scan.co.uk: Icy Dox MB982IP-1S METAL - 4711132868562

The "Special Features" Tab :

• Compatible With Mac Pro.

So that would indicate its an Icy Dock fault that they did not design it correctly as it is obviously not mac pro compatable, regardless of the female sata connectors in the mac pro

If it's bad design then how come normal 3.5" Serial ATA drives do not have that issue ?

Also the article that Arthur posted states to clean the Icy Dock Sata connectors, not the Mac Pro sata connectors
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 4th June 2011 at 04:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Found that video but I'm not gonna do that - too much faffing
    Yeah. There are a lot of bits to remove before you can access them.

Needless to say I won't be ordering from Scan again, memoryc and Aria will get my business!!!
    Unfortunately you will find Aria and MemoryC (and almost every other supplier) would do exactly the same as Scan - it's standard practice not to offer full refunds after 28 days. In fact, with Aria you would also be charged a 10 testing fee because they would test it in a standard PC and it would work!!!

I've been in a similar situation in the past with a different supplier and had to resort to selling the unwanted part on eBay. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

Aria (T&Cs)
    If the goods supplied to you are damaged or any item missing/incomplete on delivery, you must notify the Supplier within 48 hours.

If the goods supplied to you develop a defect while under warranty or you have any other complaint about the goods, you should notify the Supplier as soon as possible, but in any event within 14 days of the date you discovered or ought to have discovered the damage, defect or complaint.

If a product that was faulty at the time of sale is returned to the retailer, the buyer is legally entitled to:
    A full refund, if this is within 28 days. After this time a replacement product or credit note (to the value of the replacement) will be offered

Any items which are returned under the warranty and are found to be in a working condition will be charged a testing fee of 10 or 10% of the value of the goods, whichever is the greater.
    MemoryC (T&Cs)
    If the goods you receive are damaged and/or any item is missing you must contact us in writing within 48 hours of receipt.

If the goods develop a defect during the warranty period you must inform us in writing no later than 14 days from the day you discovered or ought to have discovered the defect or damage.

If a product was faulty at the time of sale and it is returned to us, you are legally entitled to a full refund of the product price (if purchased within the last 28 days) or after this time a replacement product of equal value. If the same product is not available we may (at our discretion) offer a product at a higher price.
    Scan (T&Cs)
    In any case where we agree that the problem has arisen because of a defect in the goods at the point of delivery to you:

we will refund the cost of the goods to you if returned within 28 days of the date of delivery; in any other case we will replace the goods or provide you with a credit for the cost of the goods.

In every case where you return goods upon the basis that there was a defect in the goods at the point of delivery to you we will inspect and test the goods.

Insofar as it may be established that there was no defect in the goods at the point of delivery to you, we reserve the right to charge you 10 as a contribution towards the cost of inspecting and testing the goods.

Thank Post
    They are not testing on equivelant equipment so that is not a fair test and hence not a fair charge so they can shove that, as for memoryc and aria - I have spent lots of money with one of them and that is fine with replacing the item with the equivalent ( RAM and SSD ) at least they would make sure it worked.

Scan are not refunding me at all unless i buy something else - forcing me to spend money is not a good way to build or keep relationships with your customer(s). The item I have does not work and the only items they have in stock are not items that will work for the purpose I require so am now forced to keep the icy dock because the other items are a much lesser value.

I've never had any issues with aria or memoryc like this in the past because am sure they are aware that if they want to keep me as a customer with the amount of money I spend they would have common sense to help me out , it was an icy dock worth 23 when in hind sight if they helped me out I would stay with them and spend a lot more then 23

I've returned items in the past on a few occasions which have been longer then that period and not come across this before

So they can keep the 23 and lose any future business from me ( for scan that is )

I presume this is where Arthur found his post :

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/...t-1087399.html

Numerous posts stating that they do not work with different models of Mac Pro ( 2009, 2010 ) with 50% chance of it working and with my 2008 mac pro having the same issue as well ?

50% chance is daft and not having a very good quality control on the product - I mean seriously !!!
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 4th June 2011 at 10:12 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread