+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Internet Explorer 9 in General; Ok then. So what monkey coded this? Surely not a multi billion corporation? Why, why oh why would I need ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 867 Posts
    Blog Entries

Internet Explorer 9

Ok then. So what monkey coded this? Surely not a multi billion corporation?

Why, why oh why would I need to close my entire process list to install a browser?

I can *nearly* understand the need to close another browser. But you shouldn't have to, surely.

I can't for the life of me though, fathom why I would EVER need to even consider closing the following:

Stardock Objectdock.
    mIRC
    VMWare Workstation
    ATI Catalyst Control Centre (??!)
    Thunderbird
    Steam
    Logitech Setpoint

Entirely unimpressed.

Thank Post
    Do they use IE in some way - ActiveX? BHO's ??
    I didnt have to close anything to install IE9 - including Safari or IE8/9RC...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, in any cases. Graphics drivers though.. just made me laugh. It installed fine on a clean VM but that had absolutely nothing running. Definitely still prefer Chrome and FF though, but unlike Chrome at least I'll credit IE9 with not attempting to hide it's memory useage.

Thank Post
    I had to close Spotify and (not surprisingly) IE8. I'd have thought if a third party app used IE in some way then it would be logical to have it closed. More to the point though why do you care, your installing IE9 and have to close some other programs for about 5 minutes, it's hardly the end of the world is it.

Really liking the clean look and feel of IE9 so far, but then again I'm probably a bit of an MS Fanboi.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Let's be honest, it's not just another browser. Firefox, Chrome, et al. are largely self-contained programs, but Internet Explorer is inextricably linked with a lot of shared system components. Such integration was part of the basis for the legal problems Microsoft have had with IE, which ultimately led to that sodding annoying EU Browser Choice update.

But I digress. Just one example I read about today is that IE9 ships with updated versions of Direct2D and DirectWrite DLLs, which are used for things like hardware-accelerated page rendering. Any other program using functions such as these will need to be closed in order to avoid a reboot.

Thank Post
    Got an email from Pearson yesterday: their subscription websites using Pegasus apparently won't work with IE9 without a tweak. Should be fixed (they say) by the autumn term.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Stardock Objectdock.
    mIRC
    VMWare Workstation
    ATI Catalyst Control Centre (??!)
    Thunderbird
    Steam
    Logitech Setpoint
    I'm not sure at all about this, but possibly some of those processes use IE settings for web access (e.g. they check for a proxy value or something similar) I'm sure Steam and thunderbird would by default, unless you've set them manually.

I could be wrong though, I haven't look into it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The point being no other browsers need to.The only one of those that is even nearly linked is Thunderbird. Steam does have a browser built in which is entirely independent of anything else. As above, MS have been told off before about linking things this closely with Windows and if they're shipping updates to DirectX or any other subsystem as part of it, I'd call that fairly bad practice. That's the first I've heard of it though, so will withhold judgement on that

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 2,140 Posts
    One good thing about IE9 is that once it is installed on a 2008 R2 SP1 server, future updates to IE no longer require a mandatory reboot...

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2011/03/9...-your-servers/

#9 Install Updates without reboot – and saving the best for last, this reasons is the BIG ONE!!!! Also continuing on from #8 and as I previously mentioned you no longer to you need to reboot your server to install updates to your browsers (see image below). Gone are the mandatory reboots of the server you have had to endure every month after patch Tuesday which will make your life SO MUCH EASIER!!!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think there is a link somewhere with Steam. I don't have Flash for example but it still wants me to install it to watch the product preview videos (I use Chrome without Flash for day-to-day browsing). Who knows TBH, I recall when Steam was just a list of Half-Life 1 games in a nice compact Messenger style window.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 2,140 Posts
    The Steam client switched from IE to WebKit early last year (which then enabled Valve to port it to the Mac), so I'm not quite sure why it needs to be closed.

http://store.steampowered.com/uiupdate/

Now using a WebKit based rendering engine for the client and in-game overlay web browsing components (replacing Internet Explorer)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    One good thing about IE9 is that once it is installed on a 2008 R2 SP1 server, future updates to IE no longer require a mandatory reboot...

9 reasons to install IE9 on your Servers
    Am I the only one that actually avoids browsing the Internet on a server then?
    I concur though, that's a pretty good reason.

Thank Post
    Ya, but you still deploy IE updates every month to the servers, which often require a reboot.
    Still, they usually bundle OS updates in on patch tuesday that need reboots, so it doesn't help that much...

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=AngryTechnician;649726]Let's be honest, it's not just another browser. Firefox, Chrome, et al. are largely self-contained programs, but Internet Explorer is inextricably linked with a lot of shared system components. Such integration was part of the basis for the legal problems Microsoft have had with IE, which ultimately led to that sodding annoying EU Browser Choice update.
    QUOTE]

Its also why it tends to go dog slow compared to the others. I had no issues with IE9 but I still have IE9 and Firefox on my PC and this one at work. I have yet to roll out IE9 yet but I dont expect to see major issues.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread