+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, be warned this is a rant.... ioc in General; What hell do the folks at IOC are they on drugs not only dpo they take away only sport that ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

be warned this is a rant.... ioc

What hell do the folks at IOC are they on drugs not only dpo they take away only sport that is women’s only softball and they take baseball off….

So now the once chance they have to make amends and reinstate it and they don’t they haven’t got a figging clue…

They remove two sports that has huge popular following over world in fact has say more following then some of other sports

Not only would that it revitalised the sports in this country in 2012 when London Olympics was on.

They just haven’t got a clue

i feel better

Russ

Thank Post

Re: be warned this is a rant.... ioc

could you expand upon that, which sports have got you worked up?

Thank Post

never mind Russ - here's a nice picture of Fenway Park to get you through to March.
    Good news about the Tour de France though.
    beeswax
    Last edited by beeswax; 11th June 2008 at 07:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

first line

But here bsuk take on it

<quote>
    Baseball's and softball's bids for reinstatement in the 2012 Olympics were rejected on Thursday, February 9, by the International Olympic Committee. Meeting at its pre-Winter Games conference in Turin, Italy, the IOC turned down the opportunity for either sport to undergo a re-vote on whether it would be on the 2012 agenda, meaning that the July 8 decision to remove baseball and softball from the 2012 Games was not overturned. This is a huge blow to the British scene, which would have seen its Great Britain baseball and softball teams displayed on the international stage - and on home turf - at the London Games.

As baseball and softball remain in the Olympics for the 2008 Beijing Games there is still one last chance for our national teams to appear in the Olympics for the first - and only - time, and the Great Britain Baseball and Softball programmes will be working extremely hard over the next few years to make that happen.

However, the 2012 London games would have been a fantastic opportunity for the Great Britain teams to compete as hosts, publicising the sports to a UK audience and offering today's junior players an Olympic appearance to work towards. The lack of Olympic representation will also hit hard on both sports' development drives in the years preceding 2012, because most UK grant funding will be directed at potential Olympic athletes.

Not long after the IOC's snub, the Joint CEO's of BaseballSoftballUK, Jenny Fromer and John Boyd, released a statement:

"The IOC's decision today not to re-include baseball and softball in the Olympic Games' programme for 2012 is a real blow to our sports both at the international and domestic levels. This is a significant lost opportunity for the sports in the UK. The sports' international significance has become more and more embraced in the UK over the past five years in particular. Our efforts to qualify for the Bejing Olympics will continue in earnest, but the lost chance to have been host teams in our capital city is devastating. It is truly a sad day for both sports in the UK and across the world."

Last summer the initial euphoria of winning the 2012 bid on July 6 had turned to dismay for the British baseball and softball community when, two days later, the IOC voted out baseball and softball, Olympic sports since 1992 and 1996 respectively.

The trail of campaigning on a world scale led to the Turin conference on February 9 when both sports put in proposals to launch an IOC re-vote. IOC president Jacques Rogge said he had received a petition signed by 45 IOC members to reconsider the reinstatement of the two sports. Things didn't begin well when he waived the rule requiring a motion which is supported by one-third of the 100-plus members be put on the agenda.

In the subsequent vote on whether the proposals should go to vote, both baseball and softball failed to get the required majority, with members voting 46-42 against baseball and 47-43 against softball.
    </quote>

http://www.baseballsoftballuk.com/ge...=Current++News

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

as for tour de france that is good news love comment here

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...3y85k&refer=uk

<quote>
    Riders also passed through Canterbury in 1994, the last time the Tour entered the U.K. The city's cathedral, which dates back to the sixth century, is the official base of the Archbishop of Canterbury, who heads of the Church of England.

``We may have the opportunity to rebrand as the Tour de Kent for the day,'' said Robert Worcester, deputy lieutenant of the County of Kent.
    </quote

tour de kent

Thank Post

I remember it well, at the time I was a freelance sports photographer covering Channel 4 & Kelloggs City Centre Cycling for various magazines and newspapers. Unfortunately, I never got the call to cover the "main event" down south, but when it comes to that time in July I like to catch as much of it as I can. Magnificent sporting spectacle.

beeswax

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

arr milk race those where days remeber as wee lad watching those

sill to this day when tour of britain comes through town at work go and watch it...

Russ

Thank Post

I can't get too worked up about baseball, even if I did play it as a kid living in the 'States. What are we intoducing for 2012? DARTS!! FFS!

As to the Tour, I cycled out from work to watch it near Winchester. Found a reasonable up-hill section thinking that we might see a bit more as they would slow, just a bit. Like hell! They flew past in a blur.

More spectacular was the number of BMW bikes being used by outriders, police, tour and camera crews. The factory must have been on overtime for months!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

something been thinking of doing is starting a sports podcast basicly sports from uk view (dont worry wont talk about usa sport all the while) but no idea got is basicly 3 people talking about sport like your where down the pub...

Nw some sports usa/motorsport i have quite bit of access to (get all pr stuff and then also get invited to media telephone conference calls so means cna get some good audio etc..)

anyway if anyone interested let me know...

russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread