+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, System Center 2012 in Technical; I am looking at buying into Systems Center Configuration Manager and Data Protection Manager using the MS EES licensing model. ...
    Thank Post

System Center 2012

I am looking at buying into Systems Center Configuration Manager and Data Protection Manager using the MS EES licensing model. I have started reading about System Center 2012. Does this product include both SCCM and DPM?

Thank Post
    *bump*
    anyone?

Thank Post
    Yeah it does.

Thank Post
    From how I understand it you buy a System Center License that covers all the product then the quantity you buy is dependant on how many products you run e.g. DPM + SCCM = 2 licenses.

Also buy Datacenter Edition, that way you don't have to worry about how many servers (OSE's) you manage with the products... Standard edition has a limit on this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    From how I understand it you buy a System Center License that covers all the product then the quantity you buy is dependant on how many products you run e.g. DPM + SCCM = 2 licenses.

Also buy Datacenter Edition, that way you don't have to worry about how many servers (OSE's) you manage with the products... Standard edition has a limit on this.
    Its still processor based, so DataCenter edition covers a hyper-v machines VMs well, but a cluster of servers still requires DC licences for each physical hyper-v server. Non hyper-V VMs maybe better to purchase licence for the individual VMs. For example for me:

DPM2010 physical= 2 processor licence for SCCM 2012
    SCCM 2007 VM = 2 processor licence for SCCM 2012
    WSUS VM = 2 processor licence for SCCM 2012
    DP1 VM = 2 processor licence for SCCM 2012
    DP2 VM = 2 processor licence for SCCM 2012

Thank Post
    I currently have 7 Servers. I am removing 3 and replacing these with one Hyper V host and will virtualise the ones taken out. I am also planning the upgrade from XP to Windows 7 so need SCCM to handle the deployment. I want DPM to back up the existing physical file server (only 1) and also the Hyper-v VMs on the new host.
    The new host will be a 2 Processor Dell R510. All the remaining Servers also have 2 Processors.
    We are moving to OVS-ES licensing but I am not sure what I need in terms of Server licences for these 2 products (and CALs).

TheLibrarian
    I'm just in the middle of fighting the SC2012 installers.

It keeps asking for SQL 2008 R2; so far I've managed to get SCVMM and Orchestrator running with just the SQL 2008 R2 Express, the others are putting up more of a fight.

Be warned you will need to have on hand various installers (prerequisites) even if they are already installed. I suspect this is just in case you are doing a remote server install of whichever product but it's a PITA nonetheless. I will list these when I am certain of exactly what they are.

Note also that when it talks about local service or domain account (requires the right to log on as a service) for the SQL server, choose domain account or DPM will fail.

You will also need to install the SQL reporting feature because DPM requires that too. I really hope you know more about SQL server configuration than I do because at least then your fight will be easier.

You may (if you haven't had SCCM2007) need to do an schema extension before you can use / install Configuration Manager - I am not looking forward to that.

I don't know if this was a quirk of this particular Server 2008 install but I had to:
    Code:
    netsh winhttp reset proxy
    Before WINRM would bind on https.

Oh yeah, you need to set up WinRM too... This might be helpful...

I'm a step or two from hiding under my desk rocking gently.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    I'm just in the middle of fighting the SC2012 installers.

It keeps asking for SQL 2008 R2; so far I've managed to get SCVMM and Orchestrator running with just the SQL 2008 R2 Express, the others are putting up more of a fight.
    It looks like SC 2012 VMM does not support SQL Express......

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    It looks like SC 2012 VMM does not support SQL Express......
    I think most of SC2012 would work with SQL Express but not Configuration Manager IIRC, however SC2012 can use the full SQL 2008 R2 as part of the licensing terms as long as it is only used for SC2012 databases.

Pretty pointless trying SQL Express on the whole.

SC2012 SQL snippet.PNG
    Attached Files Attached Files

10. Thanks to TheLibrarian from:

broc (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    I saw that too. It's a pity MS don't state that alongside the statements they make saying SQL Express is not supported..... it might stop people taking fright at the prospect of having to buy another SQL licence just for SC 2012.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread