-
Posts
49 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by 7point5
-
I only done it twice (take 2h between mounting & unmounting) the 2 files are almost same size (about 1kb difference) using 7zip I can look inside & most files are the same but some are totally different (not just in date/time) like there was one file COMPONENTS (no extension) about 40mb both versions had exact same size yet different content now during the streaming I still surfed (on my real PC) & did various stuff but that shouldn't affect operations inside the VM should it? anyway I'm doing 3rd run to see what happens
-
incidentally I noticed that KB2670838 (platform update) is often mentioned by those who install the rollup as one of the packages they include in the streaming and I also noticed (across several forums) that KB2670838 is always added after KB3020369 (the service stack thing) but here's what I noticed: if KB3020369 precedes KB2670838 then KB2670838 takes a horribly long time to add (even though it's only about 10mb) but KB2670838 precedes KB3020369 then KB2670838 takes a short time to add (just happens that KB2670838 was made years before KB3020369 - coincidence?) doesn't that mean that KB2670838 should be integrated before KB3020369?? (does it make a difference)
-
whoops forgot to mention it's a secondary internal (virtual) drive c: & e: are on separate .vdi disk files both attached to the same VM (and both on the same "real life" drive & partition) the virtual win7 is installed on c: of course
-
virtualbox latest version w/guest additions dunnit several times (delete subs) they return each time with every new post but I didn't notice the frequency of subs could be edited - changed it to 'panel only' hopefully that'll stop the mails
-
btw how do I keep the forum from sending a notification mail everytime there's a reply? I delete subscription to thread but subscription reappears after each new post
-
alrite so both times I do it from a win7 VM alrite so each time I reset everything (especially the install.wim file) the first time I do this (on the same original install.wim): Dism /Mount-WIM /WimFile:e:\Win7SP1ISO\sources\install.wim /index:3 /MountDir:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3138612-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3145739-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3153199-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3156017-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64.msu Dism /Unmount-WIM /MountDir:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Commit then I save the new install.wim to another drive as 1.wim & reset everything and the 2nd time I do this: Dism /Mount-WIM /WimFile:e:\Win7SP1ISO\sources\install.wim /index:3 /MountDir:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3138612-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3145739-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3153199-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3156017-x64.msu Dism /Image:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:e:\updates\windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64.msu Dism /Unmount-WIM /MountDir:e:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Commit save the new install.wim to the other drive as 2.wim & reset everything then I compare 1.wim & 2.wim now at this point logic says the 2 files should at least have same size right? (and all the files inside the new wim archives should have same byte by byte content even if time & date differs) nope that's the mystery that means at some point one of the two dism sessions (or both) screwed up (or dism has some random factor in its algorithms & does "what it feels like" lol) ps. takes a long time to post something here cause my proxy's slow :/
-
bummer that complicates things and btw and did the same set of dism commands on the same install.wim file twice (after resetting the wim file I mean) and each time the size of the wim file is different - what gives? the files inside the edited .wim file should be the same each time right? (same content even if meta data like date & time are different)
-
k I didn't notice the link to the other forum so basically sfc errors harmless & dont prevent windows from running normally that's cool
-
when editing an install wim file suppose there's 2 independent updates A & B case 1) first add A then add B then commit case 2) first add B then add A then commit will the wim file be the same in the end (byte by byte)?
-
even when doing it from win7?? that's what I'm doing right now (on a win7 virtual machine it's damn slow too) if so making the wim wont be enough I'll have to test it too. what does an sfc error look like? does it come up during installation or after?
-
alrite I think I get it - basically from any higher-than-7 windows you can edit a windows 7 install.wim file & add all updates to it except the rollup update (only that particular update)? so slipstreaming the windows 7 rollup into a windows 7 install.wim is only possible from within a windows 7? (nothing else not even a more recent windows version like 10?)
-
so basically a windows 7 install.wim can only be updated from within an already existing windows 7 OS??? +_+ (btw what's an SFC error & when's it noticed? before or after booting with the updated wim?)
-
#$%$ I didn't know about the XP compatibility problem thx for the update not sure I understand - you mean you tried using dism from a non-XP windows & it still didn't work?!? which windows was it? (and which windows is dism compatible with then?)
-
wait one - so what if instead of trying to add 1 package after another in the same mounting session, I do it separately? so mount wim, install service stack pack, then unmount & commit wim, then re-mount wim, install rollup pack, unmount & commit wim? (rinse & repeat for each msu) from what you said I take it that would work?
-
I thought of that it's just that my hardware ain't exactly top of the line (4 gb ram, limited to just above 3 gb on XP. can put maybe 1.5gb max on the VM and maybe give it 2 of my 4 cores hopefully that won't slow down my rig to a crawl). could take hours to process & success is still uncertain I'd also have to give the VM write permission on the shared folder (I normally keep host <-> guest communication one-way, host to guest only) but I guess I don't have much choice now (that "windows PE" method someone mentioned looks awfully complicated)
-
k so using a local (internal) drive failed, using cab instead of msu also failed, same error messages. gonna try find that windows 7 PE whatever that is (hope it won't do damage or something) btw in the log file the error appears to be these lines: 2016-06-01 18:44:32, Info CBS Appl: Evaluating package applicability for package Package_for_KB3125574~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.4.4, applicable state: Installed 2016-06-01 18:51:20, Info CBS Failed to extract files from cabinet Windows6.1-KB3125574-v4-x64.CAB [hrESULT = 0x80070052 - ERROR_CANNOT_MAKE] 2016-06-01 18:51:20, Info CBS Failed to extract all files from cabinet Windows6.1-KB3125574-v4-x64.CAB [hrESULT = 0x80070052 - ERROR_CANNOT_MAKE] 2016-06-01 18:51:20, Info CBS Failed to extract all files from cabinet Windows6.1-KB3125574-v4-x64.CAB [hrESULT = 0x80070052 - ERROR_CANNOT_MAKE] 2016-06-01 18:51:20, Info CBS Failed to add package: Package_for_KB3125574~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.4.4 [hrESULT = 0x80070052 - ERROR_CANNOT_MAKE] 2016-06-01 18:51:20, Info CBS Failed to prepare starting packages [hrESULT = 0x80070052 - ERROR_CANNOT_MAKE] 2016-06-01 18:51:20, Error CBS Failed to process single phase execution. [hrESULT = 0x80070052 - ERROR_CANNOT_MAKE] so it's an extraction error - what the hell? I can install that package perfectly fine manually (in virtual win7 64 SP1) as long as the servicing stack package is installed beforehand. yet the same install fails in dism also what exactly's it trying to extract? it's like files are missing in the archive yet the rollup file is authentic (I checked the SHA1 hash) so wtf???
-
firefox & opera here ^^ I know IE could be needed in the future so maybe gonna keep it (although, is IE11 necessary or IE10 enough? tbh I don't even know what version of IE comes with win7 SP1) 7zip says that each msu file has 2 cab files (a big one & a small one, I reckon the small one ain't necessary to extract?) both. just like in that link: http://www.howtogeek.com/255540/the-last-windows-7-iso-youll-ever-need-how-to-slipstream-the-convenience-rollup except that c: is replaced with the external drive letter but if it's permissions then wouldn't 1st package fail to integrate??? (let alone any reformat attempt) anyway I'll try using a partition on one of my fixed drives to see if this works. also at the same time work on cab files only that way test 2 theories at once never heard of if that thing's downloadable then I'll try
-
the drive I'm working on is 250gb NTFS so that should be enough and I'm always logged on as admin on windows XP ^^ alrite that I'll admit I don't understand what that means (I know that memory blocks above 2gb can't be addressed in a 32bit OS cause of the way binary works but that's about it) the first .msu package is only 10mb it takes little time for the addpackage command to work & it integrates fine the next .msu package is almost 500mb now that's big but surely that can't big enough for an app to fail??? (also dism doen't crash, just says that an error occurred. I'm able to unmount the whole thing normally afterwards)
-
windows 10 too recent, don't trust it yet plus wanna avoid the adware in it atm ^^ figured the OS would be blamed prob is if it was the OS then wouldn't the app just crash? like anything from "program has to terminate cause xxx.dll wasn't found" to "this is not a valid win32 application"? instead everything works fine & the error message appears to be more about the package than about the app used to install it
-
^ ok so in your list I only used the 1st & last packages (service stack + rollup). never heard of that KB2670838 but apparently it got a looot of bad reputation (breaks a lot of configs) so dunno if I should download that one or not also my files are both msu (is cab better??) anyway host OS is XP SP3 32bit - that's the only reason to upgrade to 7 I guess - I hesitated to say this cause I know most ppl are gonna say that this is the reason it didn't work (but then why did the 1st package integrate without a hitch & only the 2nd package fail to integrate? both are authentic btw) as for DISM I'm using the one from this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=5753 and I'm using the command lines described there: The Last Windows 7 ISO You?ll Ever Need: How to Slipstream the Convenience Rollup (I gave the directories the same name & path so I could just copy-paste each line into a single-line .bat file which I edit between each step. the only difference is the C: which I replace with the drive letter of my external hard drive)
-
yup but actually it can ONLY be applied post-deployment especially since that error message makes no sense (wtf is that 'unattend.xml' file?)
-
unfortunately the service stack update is irrelevant I got a similar error when trying to slipstream the rollup using dism ("an error occurred applying the unattend.xml blahblah" + error 0x80070052 + error 82 "the directory or file cannot be created") and yup I'd first applied the previous msu (service stack update) and it slipped in fine yet the same command line with the rollup msu failed and the iso is authentic (verified with md5 & sha1 hashes) it's win7 pro 64bit, so is the dism app (also got if from Microsoft website: WAIK) and btw applying the updates manually (in succession, service stack then rollup) works, tested in virtual machine but I can confirm that it's impossible to slipstream the convenience rollup onto a windows 7 disc those t...s at Microsoft made sure of that
