Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

edublogger

Members
  • Posts

    43
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Blog Entries posted by edublogger

  1. edublogger
    I'm a big fan of cloud services. They provide universal access to powerful software at little cost to the school, and they're convenient for both students and teachers. But data protection is a big issue to get your head around, and many schools either struggle to understand the implications of storing data online, or simply never address the issue.
     
    I've worked with schools that have dived in head first and never considered where or how their data is being stored, and also the opposite where a Network Manager is so averse to the word "Google" that he refuses to use anything that isn't stored locally.
     
    I sit somewhere in the middle. Cloud services can be a brilliant tool, but they have to be used and managed sensibly.
     
    A question I get asked a lot is how do you know if the service you're using is "safe" to use. Part of the answer -- although by no means all -- is whether or not the company providing the service adhere's to the EU-US Safe Harbor framework.
     

     
    To find out more about the Safe Harbor framework, check out this article.
×
×
  • Create New...