Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Mr.Ben

Members
  • Posts

    1,331
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Blog Entries posted by Mr.Ben

  1. Mr.Ben
    Over the past few days I have been experimenting with the RC version of Windows Thin Client, a cut down version of Windows 7 which will replace windows fundamentals for legacy PC's for those of us
     
    with Software assurance.
     
    Due to the impending upgrade to windows 7 over the summer, around 20 machines will not be able to run Windows 7. These machines are all fully functional but not worth upgrading. As a small school
     
    we do not have the resources to deliver Virtual Desktops however we do have a schools agreement which could cover these machines. In previous years these laptops would end up as Linux terminals
     
    with access only to the Internet. This year we will move to an EES agreement, meaning that these 20 machines could be licensed at no extra cost to the school.
     
    WTPC has a minimum specification of 1GB of RAM, but I wanted to see if it would work with half of that.
     
    My test machine consisted of a 6 year old Dell Latitude D510/1.6Ghz Celeron with 512MB of RAM and my aim was to see if I could make them more useful by installing WTPC and some software.
     
    The software list consisted of:
     
    Adobe Flash
    Java RE
    Office 2010 - Excel, Word and PowerPoint Only
    IE 9
    Sophos
    Spec Ops Deploy Client Side Extension
     
    On its own WTPC used around 250-300MB of RAM and started from cold in around a minute. I was pleasently surprised that I could add the machine to the domain and that WTPC supports group policy as a
     
    full fat PC would. Logging in as a user was seemless, redirection is supported as is wireless.
     
    With Sophos installed the machine ran with around 350-400MB of RAM being used when idle, still enough to allow either an Office Application or an Internet Explorer session.
     
    Great stuff except..........
     
    The licensing of WTPC is very restrictive - no productivity applications can be installed on it (meaning no local office!).
     
    It is unfortunate that the licensing terms are so restrictive, WTPC would be a great product to increase the availability of machines in most primary schools whilst retaining a similar feel and the same applications that the full fat versions of windows has.
     
    I am hoping someone at MS reads this & I can change their minds, but in the meantime I will be looking to run office over the web from the Live@edu solution we have.
  2. Mr.Ben
    As I work in a Special School I have always seen the point of tablets, and we will soon get to the point where they will be affordable to purchase in large numbers. I intend replace a trolley with them in 2 years time.
     
    My question is over how managable they are - iPads are great for home users, not so much for integrating into a windows infrastructure - what product have you seen to make you change your mind?
     
    I can see every student eventually having one of these, and desktops and laptops being used purely for application that require the higher processing power.
×
×
  • Create New...