themightymrp Posted July 1, 2011 Posted July 1, 2011 Bit of a strange one, We have some newly installed Windows 7 laptops, joined to our Server 2008 domain. When I try to login as a member of staff that already has a .V2 roaming profile I have no issues. The user has standard permissions on the local machine. However, when I log on as a user who does not yet have a .V2 profile on the domain I get the 'User Profile service has failed the logon' error. I have checked the permissions of the roaming profile share including NTFS permissions. All seems fine. In fact it creates a folder for them when they try to log on called username.V2 The only way I have found to fix this is to add the users domain account into the Local Administrators group on the laptop. This then creates the profile and works just fine! Any ideas? I tried adding change NTFS permissions to the c:\users folder for everyone but that doesn't seem to have worked. Cheers
Ric_ Posted July 1, 2011 Posted July 1, 2011 I've seen quite a few weird Windows 7 profile issues. I have found the best way to fix them is to delete the existing roaming profile and install a fresh copy of Windows 7 SP1 (the SP1 bit is important). All the problems then seem to go away. SP1 also seems to have fixed some odd WiFi issues I was having.
jinnantonnixx Posted July 1, 2011 Posted July 1, 2011 Bit of a strange one, We have some newly installed Windows 7 laptops, joined to our Server 2008 domain. When I try to login as a member of staff that already has a .V2 roaming profile I have no issues. The user has standard permissions on the local machine. However, when I log on as a user who does not yet have a .V2 profile on the domain I get the 'User Profile service has failed the logon' error. I have checked the permissions of the roaming profile share including NTFS permissions. All seems fine. In fact it creates a folder for them when they try to log on called username.V2 The only way I have found to fix this is to add the users domain account into the Local Administrators group on the laptop. This then creates the profile and works just fine! Any ideas? I tried adding change NTFS permissions to the c:\users folder for everyone but that doesn't seem to have worked. Cheers there's a fairly simple fix for this problem where you delete some profile keys in the registry. I made a little script to tidy these keys I'll post it on Monday.
themightymrp Posted July 4, 2011 Author Posted July 4, 2011 That would be great @jinnantonnixx - these newly installed Windows 7 laptops have SP1 integrated
jinnantonnixx Posted July 4, 2011 Posted July 4, 2011 (edited) As promised. The user profile keys are stored here: HKLM_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList I wrote a script (below) which runs through each of these keys and if it's a server-profile, deletes it. It seems to work for me. I'm not plagued by that 'failed the login' error, at any rate. Deploy it as a machine startup script. Any queries, just ask. Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002 strComputer = "." Set objReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _ strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv") 'root of registry keys strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" 'build collection of keys to check objReg.EnumKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath, arrSubKeys 'we now have a collection of subkeys in 'arrSubKeys' 'look inside each key For Each subkey In arrSubKeys CheckKey (strKeyPath & "\" & subkey) Next Sub CheckKey (key) 'check the key to see if contains 'CentralProfile" string value (REG_SZ) objReg.GetStringValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,key,"CentralProfile",sValue 'if the value is set, then it refers to a central profile and must be deleted If Not IsNull (sValue) Then DeleteKey (key) End If End Sub Sub DeleteKey (thisKey) 'delete all subkeys objReg.EnumKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, thisKey, arrSubKeys If IsArray (arrSubKeys) Then For Each strSubKey In arrSubKeys 'recursively delete the key DeleteKey (thisKey & "\" & strSubKey) Next End If 'delete the registry key objReg.DeleteKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,thisKey End sub Edited July 4, 2011 by jinnantonnixx 3
themightymrp Posted July 5, 2011 Author Posted July 5, 2011 So far so good, seems to be working Thanks again
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now