adamyoung Posted June 27, 2007 Posted June 27, 2007 Anyone got an idea how I can add a local user to an xp home machine remotely? This is for a small office, we'd like to try and avoid paying for MS XP Pro licences (i'm working for a charity over the summer) Thanks!
alonebfg Posted June 28, 2007 Posted June 28, 2007 You can do it from the server or any computer on network via computer management mmc just connect to remote computer. You can also do it via active dir by right clicking on pc and lick manage.
SimpleSi Posted June 28, 2007 Posted June 28, 2007 Anyone got an idea how I can add a local user to an xp home machine remotely? I might be wrong but that doesn't sound like the real question Are you looking for ideas for remote administration of a small network? If so, you'll have to visit once to install something (or talk the users how to do it over the phone) - I'd recommend logmein for small numbers of machines. regards Simon
adamyoung Posted June 28, 2007 Author Posted June 28, 2007 It's just so that we can have simple user management for our offices. They run XP Home, so when staff change we can remotely add a new local account with a corresponding network share on the server. So that when joebloggs logs in, a batch is ran that runs "net use \\staff\%username% and will then prompt the user for a password to connect to their share at login.
SimpleSi Posted June 28, 2007 Posted June 28, 2007 Its just a case of working out the workload to do this vs just having a simple shared folder and trusting users to only use their own sub-folder. Just have a think about numbers of machines/users and staff turnover. Maybe an idea to have "job post" logons instead of "people" logons - I do this on a small admin setup at one of my schools - I had manager, office, office2 and staff logons on each of 4 machines. Then they introduced another post called ELC manager and I added that to the 4 machines - when the person doing the job changed - I didn't need to add another logon. regards Simon
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now