CyberNerd Posted September 7, 2012 Posted September 7, 2012 I need to change some file permissions in c:\programdata but I keep gettin an "access denied" as a local administrator. Whats the recommended procedure to edit files in here?
CyberNerd Posted September 7, 2012 Author Posted September 7, 2012 I took ownership, and took away "deny" read for everyone - and it is a recursive link !?!? Where does the "equivalent" of c:\documents and settings\all users\application data actually reside now?
CyberNerd Posted September 9, 2012 Author Posted September 9, 2012 BUMP. Can anyone explain the differences between XP/2003 and Win7/2008 profiles?
Steve21 Posted September 9, 2012 Posted September 9, 2012 (edited) Well as an example: XP: Documents and settings\All Users\Desktop Vista/7 : C:\Users\Public\Desktop XP: Documents and settings\Steve\application data Vista/7 C:\Users\Steve\AppData All appdata should be changed in there really, what is it you're trying to edit in ProgramData? As an expansion to above: C:\users\all users is a direct link to C:\ProgramData, Add a file to C:\users\all users and it'll actually be stored/showup in programdata etc etc Steve Edited September 9, 2012 by Steve21 1
CyberNerd Posted September 9, 2012 Author Posted September 9, 2012 Thanks, All appdata should be changed in there really, what is it you're trying to edit in ProgramData? I'm trying to do this: Make sure the permissions are correct for MachineKeys folders. The MachineKeys folder is located under the \All Users Profile\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA folder. The following settings are the default permissions for the MachineKeys folder: Administrator (Full Control) This folder only Everyone (Special) This folder, subfolders, and files SYSTEM (Full Control) This folder, subfolders, and files The Everyone group, should have the following Special permissions selected: • List Folder/Read Data • Read Attributes • Read Extended Attributes • Create Files/Write Data • Create Folders/Append Data • Write Attributes • Write Extended Attributes • Read Permissions CTX118548 - Secure Gateway Error: The server certificate specified is unusable. - Citrix Knowledge Center but I'm finding I don't have permissions on it as an administrator
vikpaw Posted September 9, 2012 Posted September 9, 2012 But isn't there an added complication in the way it works. They've split up the app data into roaming, local, localtemp etc.
vikpaw Posted September 9, 2012 Posted September 9, 2012 i meant local low. anyhow, this location exists: C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys The machinekeys folder has a padlock on it. can you access it. 1
CyberNerd Posted September 9, 2012 Author Posted September 9, 2012 i meant local low. anyhow, this location exists: C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys The machinekeys folder has a padlock on it. can you access it. No I can't get in there. If I change the permissions it seems to be a recursive link
Steve21 Posted September 9, 2012 Posted September 9, 2012 No I can't get in there. If I change the permissions it seems to be a recursive link What permissions did it have set on it before you changed it? How high up are you trying to change the permissions, ProgramData has a link back to itself so if you try it too high it might very well loop. If you run dir /aL on the program data folder it'll show you redirects. Directory of C:\ProgramData 02/11/2006 16:42 Application Data [C:\ProgramData] 02/11/2006 16:42 Desktop [C:\Users\Public\Desktop] 02/11/2006 16:42 Documents [C:\Users\Public\Documents] 02/11/2006 16:42 Favorites [C:\Users\Public\Favorites] 02/11/2006 16:42 Start Menu [C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu] 02/11/2006 16:42 Templates [C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates] As you can see "Application Data [C:\ProgramData]" will be an infinite loop if you're looping through it Steve 1
CyberNerd Posted September 9, 2012 Author Posted September 9, 2012 What permissions did it have set on it before you changed it? it was a default 2008R2 install As you can see "Application Data [C:\ProgramData]" will be an infinite loop if you're looping through it That's what I found! So what permissions am I supposed to change, given that I can't even get into the c:\programdata directory as I just get 'access denied' ?
Steve21 Posted September 9, 2012 Posted September 9, 2012 it was a default 2008R2 install That's what I found! So what permissions am I supposed to change, given that I can't even get into the c:\programdata directory as I just get 'access denied' ? Can't you just do a "This folder only"? Not including subfolders etc, to at least get into the top layer? Not really sure, why you'd be locked out, but surely only changing the top layer, and not passing it down inheritance wise would stop the loop? (Only a though, but as always be careful ) Steve
CyberNerd Posted September 9, 2012 Author Posted September 9, 2012 Can't you just do a "This folder only"? Not including subfolders etc, to at least get into the top layer? Not really sure, why you'd be locked out, but surely only changing the top layer, and not passing it down inheritance wise would stop the loop? (Only a though, but as always be careful ) Steve Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow
Arthur Posted September 9, 2012 Posted September 9, 2012 So what permissions am I supposed to change If your MachineKeys folder already has Read + Write permissions (which it should on a default install of 2008 R2) then you do not have to do anything. http://i.imgur.com/Q5yYy.png As you can see from the table below, the special permissions listed in KB278381 for the Everyone group are essentially the same as Read + Write. http://i.imgur.com/bZwqM.png I took ownership, and took away "deny" read for everyone - and it is a recursive link!?!? Unless I am imagining things, nowhere in CTX118548 does it mention that you need to mess with the permissions on the ProgramData folder itself. I don't understand why you are doing this? The only folder you should be checking is %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys. The reason folders such as C:\ProgramData\Desktop have Deny permissions on them is because the UAC File Virtualization Filter Driver (%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Luafv.sys) monitors these folders for "access denied" errors. Whenever a legacy application accesses them, Luafv.sys will redirect the reads and writes to a non-protected location (%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore). Without these permissions in place, you may have issues in the future. File-System virtualization Vista (and Windows 7) includes the UAC File Virtualization Driver (luafv.sys), which monitors all file operations, but modifies only the destination path for write/read operations on files in system-global locations if an application is deemed to be legacy. It doesn't affect native 64-bit applications, programs run from network shares or applications that have been marked as Vista/Windows 7 compatible with an application manifest. System-global locations System-global locations are areas of the filesystem and registry that can only be written to or modified by processes running with system or administrative-level privileges. %ProgramFiles%, %ProgramData%, and %SystemRoot% are the system-global locations that luafv.sys monitors for access denied errors generated by legacy applications. (Source) File Virtualization The file system locations that are virtualized for legacy processes are %ProgramFiles%, %ProgramData%, and %SystemRoot%, excluding some specific subdirectories. However, any file with an executable extension, including .exe, .bat, .scr, .vbs, and others, is excluded from virtualization. This means that programs that update themselves from a standard user account fail instead of creating private versions of their executables that aren’t visible to an administrator running a global updater. Modifications to virtualized directories by legacy processes are redirected to the user’s virtual root directory, %LocalAppData%\VirtualStore. The Local component of the path highlights the fact that virtualized files don’t roam with the rest of the profile when the account has a roaming profile. If you navigate in Explorer to a directory containing virtualized files, Explorer displays a button labeled Compatibility Files in its toolbar, as shown in Figure 6-13. Clicking the button takes you to the corresponding VirtualStore subdirectory to show you the virtualized files. The UAC File Virtualization Filter Driver (%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Luafv.sys) implements file system virtualization. Because this is a file system filter driver, it sees all file system operations, but it only implements functionality for operations from legacy processes. As shown in Figure 6-14, the filter driver changes the target file path for a legacy process that creates a file in a system-global location but does not for a non-virtualized process with standard user rights. Default permissions on the \Windows directory deny access to the application written with UAC support, but the legacy process acts as though the operation succeeds, when it really created the file in a location fully accessible by the user. (Source)
CyberNerd Posted September 9, 2012 Author Posted September 9, 2012 Unless I am imagining things, nowhere in CTX118548 does it mention that you need to mess with the permissions on the ProgramData folder itself. I don't understand why you are doing this? The only folder you should be checking is %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys. I couldn't get into that directory to even view the permissions - it seems to be mapped to c:\programdata
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now