Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi,

 

I have been set the task of seeing how we can implement Edubuntu within the school. I have installed it on a computer for testing purposes, but now I need to run other tests to see if it is going to do what we want it to do.

 

First thing is making it so that authenticates against Active Directory and that users can logon with their username and password as they would on our XP machines. I have read some posts on here and read stuff off the internet, but nothing seems to be making sense to me and I am quite a novice in Linux, but do pick things up quickly.

 

If someone could shed some light on this it would be brilliant. :D

 

Tom

Posted
First thing is making it so that authenticates against Active Directory and that users can logon with their username and password as they would on our XP machines.

 

You have two options: Likewise Open or Samba. Likewise Open is included with Ubuntu (I think it's Ubuntu's recommended solution for AD integration), and it should simply be a case of installing it from the GUI and clicking a few buttons to have your machine join the domain. I didn't get on so well when I tried to use it, but that was a year and several versions of Ubuntu ago and on an LTSP server with multiple users.

 

I find Samba easy enough once you've done it a couple of times and figured the niggles out - handily, a couple of us have already seen some of those niggles go past and this previous post might be quite handy for joining a machine to the domain:

 

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/nix/48032-configuring-samba.html

Posted
im currently trying this on a vm (vanilla ubuntu 10.10) i used centrify to join the pc to the domain seems ok so far (as long as your local ububtu admin account isnt the same name as an ad user. I also had to edit the hosts line in nsswitch.conf to iirc files dns. Just remember to try pinging both your local pc by its name (so say test1) and domain.local if both pass you should be ok but i managed somehow once or twice to make it not able to ping itself
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...