wesleyw Posted January 9, 2007 Posted January 9, 2007 Having trouble searching the forums at the moment not sure whats going on with our connection? However I need to setup a folder with write permissions for the pupils which I thought was going to be nice and easy! lol stupid me! I have used the pupils group and given read, write and read/execute permissions on our 2003 R2 box which I thought should give me exactly what was needed but using our test pupil and several of the year involved it continually says "access denied" any ideas? Wes
Quackers Posted January 9, 2007 Posted January 9, 2007 Have you set both the NTFS File permission and the SHARE permission to write? I suspect one of those is still set to read.
wesleyw Posted January 9, 2007 Author Posted January 9, 2007 There are no write share permissions on this folder only in the root folder of that share? Server1->H:\shared area\ict\mr\write folder Client1->t:\ict\mr\write folder But I'll check! Wes
GeeDee Posted January 9, 2007 Posted January 9, 2007 Yes, so you need to make sure the share for 'shared area' is set to allow Write. Also double check the NTFS permissions for the stuff you don't want to be modified are set properly if this is the problem (i.e. Make sure it wasn't the share permissions alone providing the write protection). Also be aware that whilst you are allowing 'Write', it may be the lack of 'Modify' causing the problem. Are you sure you're not successfully creating new & empty documents, but then unable to rename or add content to them?
wesleyw Posted January 9, 2007 Author Posted January 9, 2007 I added change to the share permissions now the NTFS permissions have stopped anythingin other folders being modified but if the pupil puts his work into the folder he can still delete it even though I've made sure they haven't got delete permissions? Prehaps Deny Delete may work better? Wes
GeeDee Posted January 9, 2007 Posted January 9, 2007 Are you still inheriting permissions from a parent directory? What exactly are you trying to achieve? Bear in mind that you may well end up with a fair few temporary working files in your share if you deny everybody delete. Is there a specific reason you don't want to allow owners to delete their own files?
wesleyw Posted January 9, 2007 Author Posted January 9, 2007 it's a home deposit folder so i don't want them to delete files once they've been submitted. Wes
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now