Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Has anyone tried this? Im tempted to have a play, as Im paying for 8 IPs (x.x.x.244, 246, 248, 250, 252, 254, and 242 and 240 I guess too, cant remember exactly, I only use the 244 one just now)

 

I still dont understand how Be can assign me non-conseciutive IPs..

 

Anyway, My idea is put my Netgear DG834GT into modem only mode with the first IP, have smoothwall express configured in red/green with red being another Wan IP, then green being a local IP.

 

Then set up certain things in the inside of the network with static WAN Ips, but also allow NAT for the rest of the local DHCP devices ..

 

Will this idea work? I dont want to start messing with the netgear router if i might screw it up.. (Its a long way back to log in remotely ;p)

Posted
Nearly, you must setup your publicly allocated IPs as IP aliases on the external interface as well.

 

Cheers for the reply and welcome back..

 

Is setting up aliases on the external network do-able in the smoothwall web interface do you know?

Posted
Yep, you'll have to get your toolbox out and dive into the init scripts. I suspect just tacking something on the end of the if-up script will work.
Posted

Just checked that firewall table comparison and it says smoothwall express doesnt even support more than 1 public ip so i guess thats that out the window.

 

I will have a look at moonwall etc, nenever heard of them cheers..

Posted

I get 8 Static IP's with Zen at home, you might want to invest in a Cisco router such as the 877, which you can get off ebay between £100-£200. You can set it up with one to one and one to many NAT'ing at the same time, works a dream. You will also only get 6 usable IP's out of the 8 as

 

1 will be used for the router (all DHCP assigned IP's internally get the net via this IP)

1 will be used for the broadcast address

1 will be used as the network address

 

Leaving 5 static public ip's left.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...