Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm unable to make a wim file from some a computer, I can't get DOS/NDIS2 drivers for the ghost disk.

 

I am able to take an image onto a second HDD and copy onto the WDS server (I currently have .ghs files - tried putting onto a DVD but can't see the DVD drive from Ghost).

 

I have seen via google that you can deploy ghost images through WDS but I can't see how - can anyone help please?

 

Thanks,

Dave

Posted

Have you looked at Clonezilla? I've found it easier creating and deploying images with this than worrying bout DOS/NDIS drivers for Ghost/RIS. You can install Clonezilla on your RIS server so you can network boot to it and then upload/download your images from there.

 

AFAIK, to install ghost images through WDS you need legacy mode RIS support and either RISME or the 3Com Boot Menu supplied with the Ghost Suite. Unfortunately this will require a working ghost boot floppy with the correct DOS/NDIS drivers or PXE boot drivers (again supplied with ghost suite as standard) to base the network boot ghost image off of.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

To do this you just need to put the windows AIK image on to your WDS server. This gives you a 32bit command prompt with network and hardware support. You can then run any app you like on it including the command line ghost tools and just apply you image as usual. No need to dig up RIS.

 

Why are you unable to grab an image using WIM?

Posted

Why are you unable to grab an image using WIM?

 

I think it might be winsuite causing problems - at first I thought it might be that it was XP SP1 on the image but then I updated to SP2 (and didn't work) then SP3 (ditto). the PE enviroment sees the HDD (through the CMD window) but doesn't give the option of C:\ on the dropdown list

Posted
I tend to prefer creating images without Winsuite, antivirus and netop/italc on them. These programs I tend to install after the image has been deployed to a room. Less problems with the image, easier to manage when new versions of these programs come out. Also if you want to change any, or get rid of (esp. WinSuite) any of these programs you don't have to rebuild your image to do it.
Posted
I tend to prefer creating images without Winsuite, antivirus and netop/italc on them. These programs I tend to install after the image has been deployed to a room. Less problems with the image, easier to manage when new versions of these programs come out. Also if you want to change any, or get rid of (esp. WinSuite) any of these programs you don't have to rebuild your image to do it.

 

I would love to both get rid of winsuite and make an image without winsuite (which I actually have) but when I make an image without winsuite I can't install winsuite as the servers buggered and fixing it could bugger the system more [ref# WinSuite Help Please]

Posted
With all your resent threads and problems I think you need to go to your head with a plan to re-image all the machines during the summer and remove WinSuite once and for all. It's a big job, but with careful planning and testing before hand you could easily complete it in the six weeks and the school would be better off for it.
Posted

it's in the pipeline - got a brand new 2k8 domain in the building (will need to upgrade to R2 in the summer once it's been released properly) then I can re-image all machine with either WinXP or Win7. the only problem at the moment is I've been doing most of the work at home in the evenings but as I'm only on a 3G dongle and the school aren't allowed to provide me with a 3G connection for work purposes I can't work on that atm.

 

if only IT offices were in a place people can't find or phone to - life would be wonderful

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...