DAckroyd Posted March 25, 2009 Posted March 25, 2009 Hi all... I'm currently being thick and can't think how to work sysprep. I have a Virtual PC 2007 image of XP basic install with all updates, I want this to go onto my WDS server but I'm failing to use sysprep properly. I have a folder C:\sysprep\ and I've run "sysprep /factory" hoping that would allow me to capture the image but it can't see C: (can see c: when looking at cmd mode shift+F10) so I know it's my syspreping at fault. I then resealed it and that didn't work and I've just done it again with /factory and that didn't work again - I've currently waiting capture an image to finish loading to test after a reboot using audit but that's just failed. Can someone please tell me where I'm going wrong and if you know a good simple guide to using sysprep for WDS please point me in the direction thanks in advance for your help [just wanted to use these]
DAckroyd Posted March 25, 2009 Author Posted March 25, 2009 got further now but hitting the problem that I can't finish see attachement
Gatt Posted March 25, 2009 Posted March 25, 2009 (edited) try using sysprep -reseal -mini -reboot this will reseal the Image, then use Mini Setup when re-deployed, the reboot command will reboot the system after Sysprep has finished the factory flag is for creating OEM branded install setups (eg HP setups, etc) IIRC In the top box - choose Browse, find the C:\ drive and give the WIM file a name (eg XP-VirtualPC-Test) What happens is that WDS creates the WIM file locally first, then uploads the completed WIM file to your WDS server and into your chosen group.. It should then remove the C:\.wim file when redeployed Edited March 25, 2009 by Gatt 1
DAckroyd Posted March 26, 2009 Author Posted March 26, 2009 Thanks, I hadn't realised that you required to save to C: before it would be able to upload Second part to the question... I have a WIM file that I saved to HDD on a physical machine I was trying this on... how do I get this onto the image list? it is on the correct server
Gatt Posted March 26, 2009 Posted March 26, 2009 Did you tell it to upload to your WDS server? If so it should appear there automatically - you may need to refresh the console.. If not - 1) Boot the imaged PC with either WinPE - or run thru mini-setup (not via WDS) - the image file will stil be there - copy this to the server ( anywhere other than the \\WDS-Server\Reminst\Images folder.. eg to \\wds-server\Reminst\ 2) Go Into WDS and Add an Install Image - find the WDS file and add it - it will then be in WDS Check the Images\<
DAckroyd Posted March 26, 2009 Author Posted March 26, 2009 Did you tell it to upload to your WDS server? If so it should appear there automatically - you may need to refresh the console.. If not - 1) Boot the imaged PC with either WinPE - or run thru mini-setup (not via WDS) - the image file will stil be there - copy this to the server ( anywhere other than the \\WDS-Server\Reminst\Images folder.. eg to \\wds-server\Reminst\ 2) Go Into WDS and Add an Install Image - find the WDS file and add it - it will then be in WDS Check the Images\< I have a previous one on the server - it's in the "Install Images" but not in the boot images, If I add a boot image then it says it's not a valid file. my VPC file is creating and should upload soon so I'll check on that when it's up
Gatt Posted March 26, 2009 Posted March 26, 2009 Boot Images can only be an Install.WIM from vista/win2008 or the capture/discover imaegs that can be created from them Sysprep'd (captured) images are Install Images and can only be deployed usiing the "Discover" Boot image
DAckroyd Posted March 26, 2009 Author Posted March 26, 2009 ok... I'm not doing something right here.... I have the image from VPC on the server and it's in the install images area ok but it won't add to the boot images "The file does not contain a valid boot image":help:
Gatt Posted March 26, 2009 Posted March 26, 2009 You cant add it to Boot Images as its not a bootable image... Boot Images can only come from either Vista/2008/7 DVD media (install.wim) or from the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (LiteTouch) From that boot image you can create a "Capture" Image and a "Discover" Image Capture Images are used to create a WIM file from a Sysprep'd PC Discover Images are used to Deploy a Captured WIM image to another PC These images are "Install" Images and don't contain any Boot information so cannot be added to the Boot Images container in WDS To deploy your VPC image - boot the target PC, choose the Discover Image option (Using the label you gave it in WDS) this then starts WDS - follow the prompts, your VPC image should then be listed - choose it - reformat the HDD, and off you go.. 1
DAckroyd Posted March 26, 2009 Author Posted March 26, 2009 (edited) you're a star!!!! I have the XP Basic image I've been trying to get... I can't get the one that I did previously but I am alot further now, thanks! EDIT: I'm wrong... it's coming up for that make of machine Edited March 26, 2009 by DAckroyd
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now