MrBHall Posted August 25, 2024 Posted August 25, 2024 Hello, I am struggling with quite a lot of things lately with in regards to applying the group policy for shortcuts and applications from my Windows Server 2022 domain controller. Firstly, I am having issues where I am trying to push out a *.bat file under the Files node under Computer Peferences part of the GPO. It appears that the target path can be accessed fine but it is saying that access is denied in the event logs each time I do a gpupdate - see this below. "The computer 'update.bat' preference item in the 'Software Application {Censored}' Group Policy Object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070005 Access is denied.' This error was suppressed." The file is needed as part of the software install that I am trying to deploy myself.So what I have done is that I have set 'SYSTEM' and 'Authenticated Users' accounts to have "Read" access to the shared UNC path and it's files and I have set permissions for this on the NAS file server (Synology), but this doesn't appear to resolve the issue.I have also tried numerous things to resolve this, including: 'sfc /scannow' command method on local machine moving the file and trying a new UNC path in new location updating RPC registry keys removing the policy, recreated a new GPO deleting the file, and recreated new batch file but kept the name As you can see I am nearly out of options here and about to ambandon ship on this one. However, the only thing I have not looked into greater detail is the Windows Defender/Firewall and possibly some settings with the DFS, SMB and NTFS. Secondly, I am trying to push out an application that is already an executable file (*.exe) by creating an shortcut to appear onto the client's desktop, and similar to the above scenario when updating the group policy, it could not find the file - see this below. The computer 'Executable App' preference item in the 'Software Group Policy {Censored}' Group Policy Object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified.' This error was suppressed. I have checked the UNC path which is the same as the one in the group policy and I can access this fine with no problems. So for whatever reason, it could not seem to find the file even though it is already targeted to make a shortcut. I have so far tried numerous things to resolve this, including: creating a manual shortcut of the .exe file and target that - this did not resolve it different UNC paths and server IP addresses, for example: \\server.local\app and \\192.168.x.x\app changing the shortcut from 'update' to 'create' - this did not resolve it recreating the group policy checking file permissions, SYSTEM and Authenticated Users already have access Again, I am out of options on this one and unsure what to do. If anyone could reach to me with suggestions & tips, that would be great. I look forward to hearing to all of your responses on the issues I am currently facing. Thank you, Ben.
MrBHall Posted August 27, 2024 Author Posted August 27, 2024 Good Morning All, Just to give you a quick update that I have managed to resolve both of these issues after a few head scratching days. Firstly, it appears that the delegated permissions when trying to copy a file to its destination were incorrect, the Authenticated Users was somehow set with read access with security filtering and I think this was preventing it from copying the file. The second issue appears to resolve itself after the first issue I had encountered, so it seems to be a permission & security issue with the group policies. Thank you for reading my thread. Ben 2
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now