Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

2 days to go, and I have a SIMS server which appears to be drying - it's a HP ML350 and on Friday evening it decided to reboot twice with "ASR reboots" then appeared to be stable - now I can't ping it! eeek all I need!

 

Ho hum!

Posted

When would it have completed it's latest back up? - Could this back up be restored (the SIMS stuff) onto a laptop or so to ensure emergency contact details are available should something happen. - This covers your backside on the disaster recovery side.

 

I guess you can get into other servers etc ruling out a power cut?

Posted
Yes I have full backups of the server.....! I have disaster plans in place for such events. SIMS is installed on my office/laptop computer, I just need to attach the DB.
Posted
Yes - the proof of the pudding is in the eating! It's just the hassle of it all - I am trying to get summer projects signed off which is bad enough - now this... Roll on 3:40 on Tuesday! Have you got many projects on over the summer?
Posted

This Summer is the first time I think I may actually be bored looking for things to do as we did a lot of our work in the last break.

 

We're doing the following (thus far) this holiday:

 

1. Introduce new CC3 DC and load balance the users. - 100% confirmed

2. 30 new PCs into a revamped room (once/if the revamp is done) - about 15% chance.

3. 6 Additional PCs into the library with new switching etc in the core to handle it. - 100% confirmed

4. WEE disposal of around 125 CRT monitors, 60 odd base units, laptops etc. - 100% needs to be done!

5. Usual new darlings onto the system, old ones archived.

6. Staff onto the system, laptops imaged and set up.

7. Intranet roll over onto new year, timetable applied to booking system etc.

8. Cashless catering promotion + migration to Vertical Structure.

 

That's about it at the moment, but there's talk of smashing our office into the server room adjacent and re-working the internal partitioning so god only knows!

 

Oh, and most importantly, holiday =)

 

And you?

Posted

Where do I start?

 

1. APPLE - 2x server 50 imacs - complete with consultant to setup

2. 5-8 IWBs

3. Reception is being knocked through with library to create a LRC

4. More Wireless deployment

5. re-image all PCs

6. setup new students + staff (inc laptops)

7. re-jig staff/student user areas - alter partition sizes

8. network/power cabling

 

Just off the top of my head. I am sure more stuff will come up....

Posted

Ah yes, our student reception is being knocked through, makes for new network points/etc there too.

 

We're alright for wireless which is nice, but we too need to consider our built PCs as we appear to have some bad deployment topology for some software which rather than piecemeal fix, might aswell just re-jig and rebuild from image.

Posted
I've told Stephen not to bin those old RM boxes if you need them as spares ... so add collecting them to your list.

 

Does Stephen make good coffee? :)

 

+1 to the list, and 10 points to Shep.

Posted

We use very little of their stuff these days, only really on the curricular side.

 

Predecessor bought heavily into it so we're kind of stuck until the next 'big migration'.

Posted

Not me doing it (as I'm sloping off for 12 months as previously mentioned ...)

 

We have a new core switch going in and about 8 others around the schools so we will be Cisco throughout ... VLANs and so on being set up including a segregated wireless LAN for students to have port 443 access to our TS web front end. we have a Cisco partner in with this.

 

New domain built based on Server 2008 and the associated migration of accounts, folders and files, GPOs, etc. Working with Dell on this.

 

60 new workstations, but because of how we move thigns around the school to give everyone a bit of an improvement we have about half our stock being moved about (250-ish machines).

 

More thin clients in the new block so the TS boxes need finishing off.

 

Setting up the use of Exchange from within the county VLE (so we will be moving a test domain across and getting mail aliases sorted - this one I *AM* working on!)

 

The usual update of accounts on the domain, the VLEs, the online T&L resources, SIMS patches.

 

7 Projectors (electricians do the bulk)

 

More data cabling (the Cisco partners again)

 

Re-imaging most of the stock.

 

Training up the new placement student and saying goodbye to the old one.

 

Packing up my office for the year and trying to find somewhere to store the boxes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...