TronXP Posted November 8, 2023 Posted November 8, 2023 Hi, We were moving to be a Google School, but a change of leadership has made things more complicated. We have just been on OVS for server licences, Windows and Office licences. I was thinking of going hybrid with Azure AD, I would also like to be able to manage devices. I think this is intune? What else would you guys recommend? thanks
ThatBoringBloke Posted November 8, 2023 Posted November 8, 2023 If you are moving to being a Google school then why change at the moment? Why not just renew the OVS licensing and rethink about it when you are further down the line with Google. What are your aims with a hybrid setup? Depending on you Google licenses you may be able to manage devices (both Windows and Chrome) via Google. What will you get from moving to Azure (Entra) AD?
TronXP Posted November 8, 2023 Author Posted November 8, 2023 We have been at a crossroads for about 3 years now, I have just been doing as you said with OVS as we have been moving services etc to the cloud. As mentioned above, we had a change of leadership and he is not a fan of Google and wants to use Microsoft more and more. Managing Windows devices from Google admin doesn't work for computers with multiple logins (i.e our computer labs and technology suite). Why Azure AD? Well I assumed that to deploy Office 365 I would need it, I also assumed to manage devices via Intune I would need it. I have been away from Microsoft side of things for around 8 years hence asking for some suggestions/direction. Thanks 1
mavhc Posted November 8, 2023 Posted November 8, 2023 someone being "not a fan" of something is no reason to upend the entire school system. Ask what the problems are that are needed to be fixed, then ask for training for the new things he wants, and eventually he'll get bored and stop messing you around for no reason. Can't you manage Windows devices from your Windows Server?
TronXP Posted November 8, 2023 Author Posted November 8, 2023 someone being "not a fan" of something is no reason to upend the entire school system. Ask what the problems are that are needed to be fixed, then ask for training for the new things he wants, and eventually he'll get bored and stop messing you around for no reason. Can't you manage Windows devices from your Windows Server? thanks for your great advice.
ThatBoringBloke Posted November 9, 2023 Posted November 9, 2023 We have been at a crossroads for about 3 years now, I have just been doing as you said with OVS as we have been moving services etc to the cloud. As mentioned above, we had a change of leadership and he is not a fan of Google and wants to use Microsoft more and more. Managing Windows devices from Google admin doesn't work for computers with multiple logins (i.e our computer labs and technology suite). [ATTACH=CONFIG]70265[/ATTACH] Why Azure AD? Well I assumed that to deploy Office 365 I would need it, I also assumed to manage devices via Intune I would need it. I have been away from Microsoft side of things for around 8 years hence asking for some suggestions/direction. Thanks We are in a simillar position to yourself in that we are a Google School (With no plans to change direction anytime soon), but still have MS OVS licencing in place for Local Servers and PC's. I would be curious to learn what the difference in licencing types allow you to do in terms of your current setup. I know for example that we have 365 A1 licencing included and our staff can all login to Office.com to access the online versions of Word, Excel, etc. I'm not sure if this is part of our OVS licence, or just Free to School's in general. I would suggest trying to contact an MS Licencing specialist to advise the best course of action to meet your current needs and setup. We use VeryPC and John has been great.
mavhc Posted November 9, 2023 Posted November 9, 2023 A1 that allows you to access online Office is free 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now