penfold Posted March 18, 2022 Posted March 18, 2022 Parents-in-law were given a new laptop for Christmas which is running Windows 10 S. It has no NIC so relies on WIFI for internet access. It took me a long time to get it connected to my network because it seemed to grab an IP address and then just kept saying "no internet" I think I eventually got this fixed by releasing the IP address on the laptop, but as it is running Windows 10 S I couldn't open cmd etc. I did look at unlocking the S mode, but from what I understand S mode is streamlined and as this laptop only has 32GB HDD and already doesn't have enough space I don't want to unlock it and make things even worse. The problem is of course now - the laptop connects to their own WIFI but shows "no internet" and as they have limited tech knowledge, trying to talk them through anything is a no go. Is there an easy way to change the IP address on Windows 10 S? I would normally use cmd to do it as this is easy to explain over the phone. However, without cmd I need an easy and foolproof way to do it, and preferably something I can add a short-cut to on the desktop in case it happens again. Looks like I will be visiting tomorrow, but as it is a 30 min drive, having something they can do themselves is a much better option Any ideas?
penfold Posted March 21, 2022 Author Posted March 21, 2022 So it looks like the laptop was not picking up an IP address properly. As a result you could not get any internet access. It looks like it is trying to use a different subnet mask, I changed the IP to a manual configuration and it worked straight away. In the end I just set the DNS server and it looks like it is working. I'm not sure why it was working using the Auto settings and then just stopped, but for now it should be enough for them to use without issues. 1
JRA Posted March 24, 2022 Posted March 24, 2022 (I love it when folks post their resolutions to things so cheers. )
Arkmay Posted April 2, 2022 Posted April 2, 2022 (edited) Sounds like they have no DHCP there, or the DHCP has security. Edited April 2, 2022 by Arkmay
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now