Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Has anyone migrated their existing 1.x site to 1.5?

 

[EDIT]

Instructions now up on the wiki - go there for details

[/EDIT]

 

If so, were there any issues beyond what you find in the guides?

 

regards

 

Simon

Edited by SimpleSi
Posted
that's what I did with the edugeek package but due to changes I needed to change and mod all the templates and some of the plugins components and modules are diffrent versions as standard version wont work. The way I did it was the export the data into new database but you need to know what tables to import took me 4 weeks to sort it out but got it down to a tee now.
Posted

Ok - I'm struggling with this one -I've tried about 4 times now :(

 

Basically, I want to migrate the 1.0 site I created week before to 1.5 as I'll be using 1.5 for all future sites

 

(Obviously, a time machine would be handy here :) )

 

I've copied my live site onto my local setup and that move seems to be OK.

 

So I then decided to create a new 1.5 site using EGJP 1.5.2 and use mtwMigrator to copy the content across.

 

I thought this would be best as I'd be using all the EGJP 1.5 setup and just using the actual content from the old site.

 

Having ended up with basically a site with both real and pre-installed content/menus - I tried deleting stuff from the 1.5.2 site before the migration.

 

 

I either end up with too much (e.g 2 x menu entries) or too little (articles OK but no section/category assigned to them) -I can't seem to find the happ medium.

 

Any thoughts/ideas?

 

Off to try some more variations :)

 

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted (edited)

Well, that last one went the best so far - maybe even good enough.

 

I created new EGJP 1.5.2 install.

 

Switched to template used (my case eg_brown)

 

Installed mtwMigrator.

 

Configured it to just copy Section/Category/Content.

 

Deleted all articles (and then emptied the article trash)

Deleted all categories

Deleted all sections.

 

Select mtwMigrator from xxx menu

Edit Gloab Conguration with you OLD site information.

If your sharing one SQL database then the prefix is your OLD site prefix.

 

On the right-hand side just select backup,sections,categories and content to migrate NOTHING -I MEAN NOTHING ELSE (JUST DON'T EVEN TRY IT!)

 

Save and then cross-fingers and press Start Migration :)

 

Its never taken long (30 secs or so) to transfer my sites but YMMV.

Volia.

 

[Above was edited to use as basis for wiki instructions-simplesi 7th June 2008]

 

Pressed the migration button.

 

Ended up with what seems to be a working site :)

 

Things not right

Main menu (and presumably all others) is default setup not one from real site.

 

Rotating image banner showing demo content - not pictures from real site.

 

No "Front Page" items showing.

 

:) (Not bad)

 

regards

 

Simon

Edited by SimpleSi
Posted
there is no easy way as all the toys we use in joomla 1.5 and 1 use diffrent versions the best way is to copy sql file and insert the content into the new 1.5 version and then set it up again. I have put a note at download saying about migrating as it is not easy and I do it totally manually now via stripping the sql file down.
Posted

I had another couple of goes but no improvement on the method in my last post.

 

@alonebfg

I think using the mtwMigrator tool saves the rest of us learning how to manually transfer SQL content :)

 

I think if people have not modified their sites too much from the standard package, then it wouldn't be too much work to get a 1.x site migrated to 1.5.

 

All that is needed to do is to sort out the header image/colour scheme/modified main menu (if needed) and to re-decide what articles get published to the "Front Page".

 

Is there a chance (or how can I do it myself) to have a modified 1.5.2 package, without the content, just to save some effort for others (and me :) ) in doing the migration.?

 

And could I/we/you :) include mtwMigrator into it as well?

 

And can i have jam with it please? :)

 

regards

 

Simon

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...