Uber22 Posted January 5, 2020 Posted January 5, 2020 Hi All I had a notification that my vms were all off line this morning, I headed in to find the external storage controllers and 4 drives had failed (HP Das ) I had to replace the controller with a spare one I also replaced the 4 drives. After I rebooted the sever I could see all the drives had picked and I re-enabled in the raid in the hp software. I appears that the drive is not accessible now and I cant see if the raid controller has rebuild it ?
mavhc Posted January 6, 2020 Posted January 6, 2020 The raid array has a ! sign, what's the error? What does more information show?
Uber22 Posted January 6, 2020 Author Posted January 6, 2020 Hi Mavhc I was a degraded hard drive I have swapped it out today, I booted into the raid config and it is saying it is rebuilding, I will leave it for a few days and see how I get on. Thanks
Duke5A Posted January 10, 2020 Posted January 10, 2020 (edited) I would think if the array had survived it would still be available in Windows even during the rebuild process. You said you lost four drives, it wasn't one from each set was it? Did the array ever come back? I've personally had a drive with faulty firmware in an array with take the entire thing down, even though it was a single drive in the array that could have survived multiple failures. Partition became corrupted from garbage being injected into the array. Edited January 10, 2020 by Duke5A
andydis Posted January 10, 2020 Posted January 10, 2020 4 drive fialing AT the same time is very very unlikely, are the disks that failed included in the below public notice from HP? https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00092491en_us
Uber22 Posted January 12, 2020 Author Posted January 12, 2020 I think so I cant quite remember witch bays failed now, but I had more fail when I was rebuilding, after the second rebuild I wiped the array configuration and setup the raid in Raid 50 so I hope there is a little more room for failed drives. I am getting users to move all there data to onedrive at the min. Thanks
Duke5A Posted January 13, 2020 Posted January 13, 2020 (edited) All four drives most likely didn't fail at the same time. It probably started with one and you lost additional drives as the controller attempted to rebuild. If all the drives are of the same vintage then you may have reached the end of their duty cycle. Are these SATA drives by chance? How heavy are the read/write operations? If I'm correct, then RAID 50 is probably even worse since it has parity. Parity operations add a lot of overhead and are more stressful to drives during a rebuild. The rest of the original drives may not be far behind. If these are in fact SATA and have lead a hard life, you should seriously think about replacing them with SAS. No RAID configuration is going save you at this point. At least this is how I'm interpreting these facts. As stated, it's awfully coincidental to have that many fail around the same time. Edited January 13, 2020 by Duke5A
Uber22 Posted January 13, 2020 Author Posted January 13, 2020 I am currently migrating our shared drives to sharepoint and users personal data to there one drives, this just leaves our register and finace system witch I am trying to see if I can put this in the cloud on a dedicated server. AD server, and print server. I don't know if I should go for 1 server and a san or 2 servers and a san. my main thing is getting everyones data to sharepoint/onedrive then work through the list. I can get any replacement controllers for the DAS at the minute so I need to move quick.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now