Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello I'm trying to figure out this issue with Natural Reader where I'm writing an essay that has to be read aloud but unfortunately it seems to ignore the pronunciation change made in the Pronunciation Editor in the program. I'm using the name "Mendez's" (with the apostrophe and the lower case S) and set the pronunciation as "Men Dezz Is" to pronounce it in the best way an English speaker would say it, even though that name is not English. Instead it says "Men Ziz" or something along those lines. I tried deleting all words preceding it and the program still said the same thing. I then tried deleting all words following it, and it seems to have the same mispronunciation again. I delete the word from the text field, and write it again letter for letter (apostrophe included), and finally it seems to use the correct pronunciation I modified it for. However once I add back the words that came before it, as well as the ones that came after the program goes to mispronouncing it again. I'm not sure how to get the program to pronounce it the way I set it to 100% of the time. If someone could help me with this issue I would greatly appreciate it!

 

Edit: In case it helps to know I got Natural Reader v11 on a Dell Latitude E5440 running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.

Edited by blUntc0ncUssi0n
Posted
Hello I'm trying to figure out this issue with Natural Reader where I'm writing an essay that has to be read aloud but unfortunately it seems to ignore the pronunciation change made in the Pronunciation Editor in the program. I'm using the name "Mendez's" (with the apostrophe and the lower case S) and set the pronunciation as "Men Dezz Is" to pronounce it in the best way an English speaker would say it, even though that name is not English. Instead it says "Men Ziz" or something along those lines. I tried deleting all words preceding it and the program still said the same thing. I then tried deleting all words following it, and it seems to have the same mispronunciation again. I delete the word from the text field, and write it again letter for letter (apostrophe included), and finally it seems to use the correct pronunciation I modified it for. However once I add back the words that came before it, as well as the ones that came after the program goes to mispronouncing it again. I'm not sure how to get the program to pronounce it the way I set it to 100% of the time. If someone could help me with this issue I would greatly appreciate it!

 

Edit: In case it helps to know I got Natural Reader v11 on a Dell Latitude E5440 running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.

 

Is anyone gonna help me resolve this issue? I'm trying to get Natural Reader to pronounce "Mendez" correctly all the time, not just when it feels like it as if it were a living being. If anyone could help me resolve this issue I would.

Posted

I won't be able to help at this point, but if I trial the product I might be able to have a go. By coincidence our schools exams officer asked me to look at getting Natural Reader installed for access arrangements as part of mock exams, strictly run, as a practice for the real thing next year. Is your solution this one https://www.naturalreaders.com/software.html? If yes, are you on the free version or one of the charged ones. I have a few concerns so you might be able to advise.

i) this issue aside, how do you rate the product and did you look at others? What about Windows narrator?

ii) is there any support for the free version/charged version? The website seems just to have a 'contact us' option once FAQ's have been exhausted.

iv) the FAQ's say "NaturalReader licenses never expire but you will be charged a fee should you require new download links after 180 days. - what does that mean?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...