Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
I have been having a play and I am impressed with google apps has anyone integrated as part of there learning platform (If you want a play pm me) I have set one up as a test site and I am to say the least very impressed. With the google docs side it means that if set up correctly it would not be filtered as you can point your dns to it. Just wondering what people thought. Cheaper than and safer than opening port to network and save it as well.
Posted (edited)
Google docs now works offline:

Google enables users to edit docs offline - ZDNet.co.uk

 

I reckon the majority of the curriculum (upto gsce) could be taught with nothing more than a web browser.

 

At last....

 

As for the teaching using google would agree some very basic stuff yes but for example model side of spreadsheets got no chance of using google as just not powerful enough yet. Yes web based office systems are advancing but still few years off before could be used as replacement for major part of school curriculum.

 

Russ

Edited by russdev
Posted

@Russ, take a look at the new yr 7 curriculum, you'll be surprised.

I agree it can't replace GCSE yet, but it probably will by the time yr7 reach GCSE (or probably diploma by then)

Posted

@cybernerd

 

I have and stand by my comment.

 

Yes levels 3,4 and edge of 5 yes but if want to do ict level 5+ lot of it you can't.

 

As an example you can not do spreadsheet modelling for example in google no conditional formatting , pivot tables, linking into web data (ironic).

 

Linking graph from spreadsheet in PowerPoint another example so when the spreadsheet changes the graph on PowerPoint changes.

 

Yes basics are there but we still few years off being able to use it with level 5+ work. As said not far off and can see a point where we can but lot fo work still to do.

 

Russell

Posted
As an example you can not do spreadsheet modelling for example in google no conditional formatting , pivot tables, linking into web data (ironic).

 

I don't see why you actually need to do any of those things, for ks3. I was thinking that it would be the control unit that would cause the problem.

 

bedsides, google docs does do conditional formating, pivot tables and link to web data. It can even share so that students can work collaboratively. You should have a look at it.

Posted
I don't see why you actually need to do any of those things, for ks3. I was thinking that it would be the control unit that would cause the problem.

 

bedsides, google docs does do conditional formatting, pivot tables and link to web data. It can even share so that students can work collaboratively. You should have a look at it.

 

Why would you do it because it is part of the NC :) even in new nc..

 

As for google spreadsheet you are right you can now do above up until recently you couldn't so on that count I eat humble pie...

 

Still think you would start to reach the limits very quickly with level 5+.

 

Your right about control on that score (saying that control is no longer part of the new new ict nc moved over to design technology). But some schools like us still teach it as part of ICT.

 

Russell

Posted
well i have it all set up at the moment and for KS 1+2 I think it will be really good I dont think We will have a problem with it but I do agree with russ some KS3+4 stuff it is a bit basic at the moment but I know they are looking at live linking And what a bonus I have found out for schools it is free ??

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...