Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Wordpress - Change Background Colour of Sidebar Gallery Widget


Recommended Posts

Posted

I just cannot get to grips with Wordpress at all. And I've tried, I really have.

 

I've knocked up a demo site, it's currently just a homepage on a fairly vanilla theme with one gallery sidebar widget, which I'd very much like to change the background colour of, but can't seem to. In fact despite selecting colours in the theme editor I've had limited/zero success actually changing the colour of anything.

 

Is it even possible to help me out with that little info? Just in case, have a screencap. It's the puke green background I'd like to change.

 

Thanks :/

widgetbgfail.jpg

Posted

It depends on whatever theme you're using as to if it lets you change it direct, accepts the menu options, or whether you'd need to hack the CSS apart in the background

 

What theme is it you're on, and what's the options page for configuring it look like?

 

Steve

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Thanks! It's Pxt Business. The options page looks like, well regular Wordpress options page to me but changing the colours in there doesn't seem to do anything.

 

I'd gladly change it myself in the css but I've got no idea what to change or what anything's called in there.

Posted

Just returning to fill in the answer - probably basic as all hell for anyone who's familiar, but it's pretty much as Steve21 said. This might help any future Googlers etc.

 

I discovered style.css from Appearance > Editor in the WP console. In here, all good things are dictated. In your site, you can right-click and inspect the colour of %item% you're trying to change the colour of. Sometimes in the top right 'Inspect' window that's all you need, and you'll be able to find the highlighted item back in style.css with ctrl+f, but if not then look in the bottom-left Inspect window for the colour itself. You can then, of course, ctrl+f for that colour hex or rgb or whatever it presents you with. I've not been in there from the console, but I'm willing to bet you could solve/irreversibly wreck a lot of things with grep and sed and the like.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...