enjay Posted October 6, 2017 Posted October 6, 2017 Any recommendations for good screen reading apps for mobile devices? Right now, I'm interested in Android ones, but I'll take suggestions for Apple too as I'm sure that question will follow soon enough.
ADMaster Posted October 6, 2017 Posted October 6, 2017 Do you want audible feedback on every touch, or just something to ease reading text. Android has a built in feature called talkback and Apple has voice over. Both found in accessibility. If you are wanting to ease the reading of text / ebooks etc I like @Voice Aloud Reader. I don't think its in the store anymore but I have the Ivona Amy voice to go with it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperionics.avar&hl=en The ads are starting to get more annoying but not enough to buy the ad free version yet. 1
enjay Posted October 9, 2017 Author Posted October 9, 2017 Do you want audible feedback on every touch, or just something to ease reading text. Android has a built in feature called talkback and Apple has voice over. Both found in accessibility. Great thanks. I didn't know that was in Android! Just reading webpages, emails, etc. No need for feedback on every touch, the student struggles to read, they're not visually-impaired.
enjay Posted October 12, 2017 Author Posted October 12, 2017 Talkback is too full-on for my needs (excellent piece of assistance tech for VI users though). I just want an app which will read a website or email to me when I want it to, not constantly tell me everything I'm touching and make me double-tap most things I used to single-tap.
ADMaster Posted October 12, 2017 Posted October 12, 2017 Talkback is too full-on for my needs (excellent piece of assistance tech for VI users though). I just want an app which will read a website or email to me when I want it to, not constantly tell me everything I'm touching and make me double-tap most things I used to single-tap. Did you miss the second half of my post? If you are wanting to ease the reading of text / ebooks etc I like @Voice Aloud Reader. I don't think its in the store anymore but I have the Ivona Amy voice to go with it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ics.avar&hl=en The ads are starting to get more annoying but not enough to buy the ad free version yet. Just for clarity after re reading that... @Voice Aloud Reader is in the store, the Ivona Amy voice is not. However there are free voices built in from google and other TTS providers you can get voices from.
enjay Posted October 13, 2017 Author Posted October 13, 2017 Okay, so I've had a quick look at @Voice Aloud Reader. The need to copy-and-paste the text is tedious, and will likely be too fiddly for this student. I note there's a floating toolbar app which accompanies it, but I couldn't get that working.
ADMaster Posted October 13, 2017 Posted October 13, 2017 If your reading an entire webpage there is the option to share to read now and share to add to reading list. Just in the way you can copy text, you can copy a link and it will read the whole page. It will also open downloaded files, txt, epub, pdf etc. I've never used PDF though. Here is the user manual @Voice Aloud Reader Manual It looks a bit outdated, but still has good info. I use this every day, and not found anything better. If you do find something else let me know.
enjay Posted October 13, 2017 Author Posted October 13, 2017 If your reading an entire webpage there is the option to share to read now and share to add to reading list. Doesn't help with emails though, or instructions on Google Classroom. I was thinking more of some form of overlay app (if these even work on mobile devices) rather than all the copying-and-pasting. The child in question has motor issues, so might struggle with all that.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now