elsiegee40 Posted March 30, 2016 Posted March 30, 2016 (edited) OK, some posts have been moved to The big debate: Should we be moving to Linux in Schools? Somewhere to debate whether a move to Linux in schools is something we should be considering thus leaving this thread for its orignal purpose. Let me know if I have moved something I shouldn't (or haven't moved something I should) Edited March 30, 2016 by elsiegee40 1
mavhc Posted March 30, 2016 Author Posted March 30, 2016 Thanks, this was from my 15th March post that got moved: Currently working on getting salt formulas working with pillars, trying to get salt to configure bind9. Then DHCP and apt-cache, and then creating client machines. Got debian server to auto install, and saltstack setup, a simple push of a standard package is working. Then openldap I assume, not used that before, advice welcome.
Geoff Posted March 30, 2016 Posted March 30, 2016 Also check out FreeIPA. It's LDAP with all the extra bells and whistles in one handy dandy appliance. It's the nearest thing you'll get to Active Directory anyway. https://www.freeipa.org/page/Main_Page
mavhc Posted March 30, 2016 Author Posted March 30, 2016 Thanks, I'll keep reading how to do it myself, for now anyway. Wrote a small python script to convert a CSV of mac addresses and hostnames into a format for dhcp, although the saltstack formulas for that aren't great. https://github.com/bechtoldt/saltstack-iscdhcp-formula seems to support RNDC, but can't get it working, while https://github.com/saltstack-formulas/dhcpd-formula doesn't. Need some way to auto name clients as they network boot, thought dhcp reservations would be best
Geoff Posted March 30, 2016 Posted March 30, 2016 Thanks, I'll keep reading how to do it myself, for now anyway. Well you can take the components that make up FreeIPA and DIY it. Need some way to auto name clients as they network boot, thought dhcp reservations would be best Don't forget you can send the hostname as a DHCP option.
mavhc Posted March 30, 2016 Author Posted March 30, 2016 do you mean send it from the client? or from the server? I'm thinking server, then hostnames are centralised and repeatable. Wonder if you can set a hostname but not an IP, don't see why not.
Geoff Posted March 31, 2016 Posted March 31, 2016 The problem is most clients ignore the option sent by the client. You are better off doing a client match in your dhcpd.conf based on the clientid, hardwareid or vendorid and giving out an ip on a separate range that has a matching set of pre generated dns hostnames in bind. That way it's irrelevant what the client calls itself.
mavhc Posted March 31, 2016 Author Posted March 31, 2016 That was my plan, once I get this salt formula working, grr
zag Posted April 27, 2016 Posted April 27, 2016 Chromebooks with google apps would be a much better idea I think. The US has already gone this way for a lot of school districts.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now