fiza Posted November 12, 2015 Posted November 12, 2015 Any Primary Schools that use GAFE for their students - how do deal with passwords? As I understand it the minimum password length for GAFE is 8. How do younger students remember their passwords? Do you use class logins for GAFE? If so does the teacher log them in? This is for students using Chromebooks not windows computers.
elsiegee40 Posted November 12, 2015 Posted November 12, 2015 No email used with classes below year 3, so GAFE password complexity hasn't been an issue 1
CyberNerd Posted November 12, 2015 Posted November 12, 2015 As I understand it the minimum password length for GAFE is 8. If you use GAPS it will use the Active Directory password length, which you can turn off or set as you wish. 1
fiza Posted November 12, 2015 Author Posted November 12, 2015 No email used with classes below year 3, so GAFE password complexity hasn't been an issue Email will not be enabled. Don't they still need a password to login? - - - Updated - - - If you use GAPS it will use the Active Directory password length, which you can turn off or set as you wish. do you have to use GADS to take advantage of GAPS?
CyberNerd Posted November 12, 2015 Posted November 12, 2015 do you have to use GADS to take advantage of GAPS? Yes, I would have thought so. 1
fiza Posted November 12, 2015 Author Posted November 12, 2015 Yes, I would have thought so. Just looked it up. You don't need to use GADS.
CyberNerd Posted November 12, 2015 Posted November 12, 2015 Just looked it up. You don't need to use GADS. ok, strange. I could see you might want to use GADS without GAPS but not vice versa: won't you just get in a pickle with user creation and then find GAPS not work?
ITBadger Posted November 12, 2015 Posted November 12, 2015 The school that my daughters attend have a small number (about 12) of very simple passwords, greenfish, yellowfish, bluefish etc. All above 8 characters and assigned to multiple students. It's easy for the teacher to keep track of and the kids remember them fine (my daughter is now in Y1 and has been logging into GAFE quite happily since the start of reception year, albeit with help from staff at first). There is a danger of children cracking each others passwords I guess, but this is mitigated by assigning them a numeric username that is meaningless to anyone other than them. The username and password get stuck into their planners at the beginning of the year. It's not a perfect system, but it works for them. 1
fiza Posted November 12, 2015 Author Posted November 12, 2015 The school that my daughters attend have a small number (about 12) of very simple passwords, greenfish, yellowfish, bluefish etc. All above 8 characters and assigned to multiple students. It's easy for the teacher to keep track of and the kids remember them fine (my daughter is now in Y1 and has been logging into GAFE quite happily since the start of reception year, albeit with help from staff at first). There is a danger of children cracking each others passwords I guess, but this is mitigated by assigning them a numeric username that is meaningless to anyone other than them. The username and password get stuck into their planners at the beginning of the year. It's not a perfect system, but it works for them. Would class logins work at Primary School? I deal with Secondary where everyone has their own login so not used to dealing with the issues of younger users. - - - Updated - - - ok, strange. I could see you might want to use GADS without GAPS but not vice versa: won't you just get in a pickle with user creation and then find GAPS not work? I see what you mean but from the article I read it doesn't mention that little issue. https://support.google.com/a/answer/2611842?hl=en
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now