JoeBloggs Posted September 23, 2015 Posted September 23, 2015 Hi Guys, Just building a new ESXi 6.0 server - currently I've just put on two Linux servers. The server has 4 x 1GB NICs. I want each server to have it's own NIC. How do I do this? Thanks! On an extra question (less important), can I utilize 2 NICs to act as one to get 2GB? Thanks!!
Geoff Posted September 23, 2015 Posted September 23, 2015 The 'VMware way' is to to setup a couple of vSwitches and allocate the NIC(s) to them, then allow each VM access to the relevant vSwitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80IgFaBaNco The alternative is to directly expose the VM to the hardware NIC and use the OS tools. However this is less 'VMWarey' and will confuse anyone who comes along and looks at your setup. VMware KB: Configuring VMDirectPath I/O pass-through devices on a VMware ESX or VMware ESXi host 1
JoeBloggs Posted September 24, 2015 Author Posted September 24, 2015 (edited) Got this working! I have vSwitch0 assigned with vmnic0 which has the Management Network and a server. Then I have vSwitch1 with vmnic1 & vmnic2 assigned with just one server on with NIC Teaming with load balancing and such Edited September 24, 2015 by JoeBloggs
Geoff Posted September 24, 2015 Posted September 24, 2015 Exactly. It's dead easy once you have got your head round it. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now