Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a laptop, 2x Dell 17" Monitors and a Matrox DualHead2Go dealie giving my 2 displays stretched over 3 dispays.

 

I can't deal with being at one edge of my desk, it's too uncomfy and I'm lazy to turn so far when I want to pay attention to what I've put over on the far screen....

 

So I set it up as -

 

3 | 1 | 2

 

To get to screen 3, I have to go all the way right (fun to watch people get lost in it when they attempt to use my laptop), or left if I choose the other way.

 

Surely there must be a way that I can split XP's 2nd Display (as Matrox DH2G creates a stretched display) into 2 so that I can place one on the left and one on the right and go left or right between them as I choose without difficulty?

 

Any ideas? I've tried SplitView and UltraMon, I probably didn't do it right, but I didn't immediately see anything that would make this work in either program.

Posted

I checked around and the answer to your question is simply "No you cannot do that".

 

The DualHead2Go achieves this feat by convincing your notebook graphics chipset that it’s connected to a single massive external monitor, when in fact it’s connected to two external monitors with the image spanning both

(taken from review

Posted
I suspected it wasn't possible, but then surely what I want to achieve isn't out-of the ordinary and surely I can't be the only one?

Your problem is the way the system works...

 

By convincing the laptop that it has only one input you lose the Operating systems natural ability to treat them as separate screens. It's similar to the system that ATI or nvidia used to use a ways back that allowed you to create a spanned screen that went across two screens which was useful for some DirectX games.

 

In this instance the only respite you'll get is if Matrox themselves release some software that allows you to split and organise the screens... and if the bods at realtimesoft haven't managed it then it's unlikely anyone else will as the RTS people really do try their damndest to make stuff like this work and have done for quite a few years.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...