Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Can an AD account be disabled from the client computer?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Can an active directory account be disabled from the client side computer running windows 7 if given local admin to the client computer? Been enabling and disabling student accounts and a just ran into a second case where I enabled an account and about a week later the account was disabled again?

 

Extra info: There are no policies or anyone else managing accounts but myself.

Posted

Hello,

To be clear I’ll say this has two answers.

Yes an account can be disabled from the client. I use a combination of RSAT / ADUC, powershell scripts, and other tools to manage accounts from my client machine every day.

 

No local admin should not have any effect on domain accounts.

I suggest that you do the following;

Review permissions of the accounts in question to see if someone has been given permission to them before.

Turn on auditing to see who / when the account was changed.

Change passwords if you suspect someone else may be using your domain admin credentials.

 

I know you said there are no policies or no one else managing accounts, but do you have any automated process that disables accounts if they are no longer in the SIS etc.

 

Cheers,

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...