Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Yet another "Something happened, I dunno... I wasn't paying attention" error. I'm getting fed up with these.

 

 

I'm trying to redownload the Reader app [it was flashing the slash screen then closing] and it just constantly fails.

 

Apparently, giving everyone full control to the "Package" folder in appdata\local fixes it, but all the accounts already have full access. [bTW, WHY is that the fix for nearly every Win8 problem?]

 

 

Does anyone have any ideas? [or a place where I can just download it? I'm not too happy with the store requiring a MS account.]

Posted

Microsoft provide updates to their own Metro apps as MSIs or through WSUS now. Please see the KB article below for more details. It's much easier than @SYNACKs method. :)

 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2971128

 

The MSIs can be downloaded through the Microsoft Update Catalog website (in IE). I have included direct links to the latest Reader app below to save you time.

 

Reader App (v2014.312.322.1510)

[b]x64[/b]: http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/updt/2014/05/windows8.1-kb2962193-x64_f420a78dbf7dfe7d95cf2612319d7638cc337a8c.cab
[b]x86[/b]: http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/updt/2014/05/windows8.1-kb2962193-x86_86e3ba3c75bff5b705d95537e042eef8eebda8ce.cab

 

^ Open the relevant .cab file and there will be an MSI inside.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Are you redirecting folders?

I got this same error and all store apps failed to load/install after I tried redirecting my downloads folder to another disk (MicroSD Card) on my tablet.

As soon as I put the folder back to the local disk it all worked fine!

Which is a pain as my C:\ is only 32gb and running out fast...

Posted (edited)
Microsoft provide updates to their own Metro apps as MSIs or through WSUS now. Please see the KB article below for more details. It's much easier than @SYNACKs method. :)

 

Windows 8 and 8.1 Windows Store app package updates available for download

 

The MSIs can be downloaded through the Microsoft Update Catalog website (in IE). I have included direct links to the latest Reader app below to save you time.

 

Reader App (v2014.312.322.1510)

[b]x64[/b]: http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/updt/2014/05/windows8.1-kb2962193-x64_f420a78dbf7dfe7d95cf2612319d7638cc337a8c.cab
[b]x86[/b]: http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/updt/2014/05/windows8.1-kb2962193-x86_86e3ba3c75bff5b705d95537e042eef8eebda8ce.cab

 

^ Open the relevant .cab file and there will be an MSI inside.

 

That won't install properly... Yet another useful error message:

 

Untitled.png

 

 

And I was starting to like Win8...

 

 

 

Does anyone know where/if the appx files are on the Win8 ISO?

Edited by X-13
Posted
Does the app install if you use a local account?

 

I haven't tried a local one, I'm using my domain admin one at the moment.

 

It's not just this one that's failing, I have 18 apps waiting to install and all of them fail the same way.

Posted
have you turned off uac or logged is as administrator (the actual user not a member of the group) because iirc store wont work with uac off nor will apps
Posted
have you turned off uac or logged is as administrator (the actual user not a member of the group) because iirc store wont work with uac off nor will apps

 

We have UAC off, but apps work...

Posted
Have you tried switching UAC back on?

 

Are the apps that work, the ones included with Windows itself?

 

Tried with it on again, no difference. Tried the local admin account, the store won't even open.

 

 

 

Yeah, it's almost entirely the apps included with windows. I want reader for PDFs [i prefer it to the Adobe one] but there's also a few I removed that won't reinstall.

 

I stupidly removed reader to reinstall it... then realised what was causing the problem didn't require a reinstall to fix.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...