+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Having trouble capturing image in Technical; I have been trying to capture an image from one laptop of a batch of 36. I would like the ...

Thank Post

Having trouble capturing image

I have been trying to capture an image from one laptop of a batch of 36. I would like the image to have all drivers retained and software, so that I can push to the other 35 - surely this is childs play to WDS/MDT2012, but I can't seem to find the right command line for sysprep to execute. They are Win 7 64 bit. I don't want to use the '/generalize' tab, as this apparently strips the drivers. I understand that it also needs to run in order to strip other things like IDs etc. So is there a way to capture my image as-is, so I can have it ready for the other identical laptops? BTW, I wasn't able to run the basic PE install from WDS/MDT for various reasons, otherwise I would have tried the capture process to create it for me (haven't tried that yet however on any image).

I've read articles regarding using 'unattend.xml', but how does that prepare the volume for capture? :-( Any thoughts...?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 2,287 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You need to generalize but you need to use an xml config file to tell it to leave the drivers:
    Sysprep nearly working but drivers going?

Quote Originally Posted by Tunster View Post
    We use the "PersistAllDevicesInstalls" tag in an XML file. Works wonders when you want a universal curriculum image with multiple drivers from different types and brands of workstation.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State">
        <settings pass="generalize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" processorArchitecture="x86">
                <PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SkipRearm>1</SkipRearm>
            </component>
        </settings>
    </unattend>

To make the process easier, I copy a batch file across to run and that picks up the sysprep.xml I saved from the code above. The "SkipRearm" stops the machine resetting the operating systems and counting down 5 rearms limit rule. Our XML code that's applied to the image itself changes the product code if we need to use MAK instead of KMS.

Code:
    sysprep /quiet /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:sysprep.xml

Hope this helps anyone trying to do this in future. This has worked since the early days of deploying Vista.
    Customizing Windows 7 unattend.xml « PC LOAD LETTER

You'll want to use the Windows AIK to make your own XML though that targets x64.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 22nd October 2012 at 03:18 PM.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

MikeAtTrs (22nd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks Synack - have just been doing some more reading and I think I have mis-understood the '<PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true' line - I thought it had something to do with disabling the Digitally Signed Driver issue on 64 bit OS - oh well, something else new I have learnt today...will try the command line as suggested.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread