+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, NC10 Imaging in Technical; I've set up a Fog VM on my server and took a new NC10 and set it up as I ...

Thank Post

NC10 Imaging

I've set up a Fog VM on my server and took a new NC10 and set it up as I wanted it and then uploaded the image to the Fog server.

Deployed the image back out to another NC10 - deployment seemed to work but 2nd machine wouldn't boot into windows (either went into recovery mode or just wouldn't boot - can't remember now exactly which)

I'd used the single partition (resize) mode so I then tried the whole disc mode - upload seemed to work fine - deployment didn't work either???? (no OS found???)

So I re-partitioned my orginal NC10 to remove the hidden samsung recovery partition and the other data partition (so just one partition now) and tried that in single partition mode.

Fog says NTFSresize can't resize my partition due to it not having a proper NTFS filesystem on it????

Tried whole disc again - Fog gave an error saing something about invalid sda ????
    :crying:
    If someone who's used Fog to image one of these could let me know how they did it I'd be very grateful

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Now done 35 NC10's using FOG and all went on OK. Maybe not using FOG to its most efficient but only just started looking at it. Not even got it to change the PC name automatically yet as I didn't notice that option at first and imaging was the priority. Have not got FOG where I am at the moment so this is all from memory. Manually deleted the original partitions from the Samsung using Gparted and set the drive to being bootable (forgot that the first time and just deleted the partitions , so it imaged but would not boot!), In FOG I'm sure I had problems when I set the image to allow it to do a flexible image size, i.e. to fit any size drive, so had to do it as a single partition fixed size, No problems as they are all the same. After doing that all seemed to go fine. Hope that helps, but if not there are some more knowledgable people on here who use FOG more than me.

Thank Post
    Manually deleted the original partitions from the Samsung using Gparted and set the drive to being bootable
    Was that on your master machine or the ones to be imaged from it?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Hi, I used a System Rescue CD that had Gparted on it (mainly because I used to use PartImage that was on the disk as well and image from a USB hard drive stored image). I just used that on each netbook before imaging it from FOG. Don't know if you can get FOG to auto delete existing partitions and set the drive to being bootable? If anyone knows if you could that would save be a bit of time for the next set I will need to do.

5. Thanks to TechSupp from:

SimpleSi (18th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Did you ever get it working Simon? the NC10's just come up with "A Disk Read Error Occured press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" I need them ready for tommorow!!!

Thank Post
    I know i used the option in FOG to create images that were of a fixed size and not resizeable as if I remember I had problems when I tried to image using the resizeable one. Did'nt matter to me as the image will only be going on to the same computers. Try creating an image with that option and try again. Hope it works, other than that don't make the mistake I did, remove all the origianl partitions (need to do that on each client before imaging) and then I forgot to mark the new partition as bootable, imaged it and found it would not boot, maybe thats the problem. Use Gparted and just mark the image partition as bootable and see if that works, might be lucky and be a quick fix.

Thank Post
    There are some work around(s) that you can try to get FOG working for you.

1. Select a multi-partition image (single disk) instead of a single partition single disk.

This will tell fog to back up any and all partitions on the drive (this is common place with recovery partitions and or dianstoics) Dell / HP / etc. come to mind here

The only limitation is that the HDD size is locked. If you image an 80GB hdd and deploy it to a 320gb hdd it will only show 80gb unless you adjust it manually.

With all the models being the same hardware this typically isn't a problem. Another possible work around for you is to also set up the base image on a LARGER hard drive than the rest of the models (say a 500gb hdd) and image it back to the lower units. It will allocate all of the available space for you.

2. Rebuild the base image pc (or delete the 2nd partition and expand the space).

This will allow you to do a single partition and have it be re-sizable. Don't forget to re-allocate the lost space of the deleted partition with Gparted or some other similar tool before you upload the image.

This again only counts if you don't want that partition on the base image.

Let me know if you need help.

--ssx--
    Last edited by ssx4life; 29th October 2009 at 02:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Did you ever get it working Simon? the NC10's just come up with "A Disk Read Error Occured press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" I need them ready for tommorow!!!
    No

I had to stop trying to get Fog to work and get the laptops into use

I just Ghosted each machine from a portable USB drive.

Took about 20 mins/machine so I just started one lunchtime and kept going till they were all done.

I then had to the same at another school

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    In XP that issue is tied to the MBR not being written properly. Try what I mentioned above.

I feel it is important to note as well that with Windows 7 I had the same issue(s) with a multi partition image vs. a single partition image. Not sure why 7 includes a 100mb 2ndary partition but it does. Easy fix was to just do the multi image.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ssx4life View Post
    In XP that issue is tied to the MBR not being written properly. Try what I mentioned above.

I feel it is important to note as well that with Windows 7 I had the same issue(s) with a multi partition image vs. a single partition image. Not sure why 7 includes a 100mb 2ndary partition but it does. Easy fix was to just do the multi image.
    Windows needs two partitions to have bitlocker enabled. Because a lot of people were caught out with that in Vista they decided to just create two partitions by default

Thank Post
    Well - i've sorted started again.

I've taken another single disk - multi-partition of a another NC10 and used that for my master image and that deploys OK.

So I'm finally in the FOG business (as well as the mushroom one we all normally work in )

I've got another school thats bought 40 NC10s so I'll try and get FOG setup there and see what happens again when I try to image virgin machines.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Looks like you are on your way.

Thank Post
    Tried using multicast (just to two machines) but it was actually a lot slower (50MBs vs 600 MBs for simultaneous unicasting to 2 computers)

Mind you, thats going to be down to using an 8 port switches from Dabs

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Not tried multicast yet, seen it on the FOG site but how do you set it up or start it. Used Fog to two PC's at a time (same as you was using cheap 8 port switch at the time but now got my hands on a good 24 port)?

Thank Post
    You basically have to put the machines you want to multicast to into a group (which you do from the hosts page not the groups page )

Then you go into tasks and list groups (doing this from memory here!) and click on the mulitcast button (looks like a Transmitter Mast).

You then PXE boot all the machines in the group and FOG waits till their all booted up and and then the imaging starts.

Or something similiar

regards

Simon

17. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

TechSupp (11th November 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast