+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, pdfs delays when printing (HP OfficeJet 6000) in Technical; Hey all, I have an issue with an HP OfficeJet 6000. It's plugged in via network and loaded on an ...

Thank Post

Question pdfs delays when printing (HP OfficeJet 6000)

Hey all,

I have an issue with an HP OfficeJet 6000. It's plugged in via network and loaded on an XP machine with up-to-date drivers. The print server is running 2008.

I can print office and other documents to the printer, and they print quickly. However, when I send a pdf to the printer, it can take 2-5 minutes before the printer spits out the first page. The remainder of the pages come out quickly.

I've checked spooler settings - they are set to spool documents, but I've turned it off - no change. I've updated Reader to the newest version (X) to no avail.

I'm running out of ideas. I can swap the printer back to USB, but would strongly prefer to leave it networked if possible. I wouldn't think that networking is the issue, as other documents print OK...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Damian

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPSWolf View Post
    when I send a pdf to the printer, it can take 2-5 minutes before the printer spits out the first page. The remainder of the pages come out quickly.
    All PDFs, or just a few similar test documents? PDFs are basically encapsulated Postscript files, and you do get some PDF documents with Postscript bugs in them - I've seen a couple of PDF documents that crashed Reader as it tried to render an large / infinite Postscript loop. A flawed PDF could be making the print driver render the PDF very slowly, it's be worth checking with several different PDF documents.

I can swap the printer back to USB, but would strongly prefer to leave it networked if possible.
    If another solution doesn't present itself, you could always give the printer its own dedicated computer to do print-job rendering. A second-hand Windows XP machine is 30 these days - obviously, having that on the whole time does use a bit of power, although with a PC available you can have a scanning / printing station with the addition of a 30 USB scanner and the computer can automatically turn itself off at night (and, if linked to an Intelliplug or similar, so can the printer), so probably saving some of the extra power it'd use.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread