1. Open a web browser and visit www.lastpass.com
2. Click on ‘Download LastPass’
3. Choose the client for your computer. The correct client should already be highlighted
4. Once downloaded double click the installation file to begin installing LastPass
At the first screen click ‘Next’
5. Check the options for all of the browsers you have installed then click ‘Next’
6. Allow LastPass to close any open browsers for you by clicking ‘Close Programs’
7. Click ‘I do not have a LastPass account, create one for me’ then click ‘Next’
8. Fill out your registration details and check all three boxes before clicking ‘Next’
9. Re-enter your LastPass password then click ‘Save’ *Please keep a note of your password as LastPass do not store it for you!*
10. If you want to have LastPass scan your computer for stored and cached passwords (recommended) check ‘Yes, let me choose which items I want to import into LastPass’ and click ‘Next’
11. You will then be presented with a list of passwords that have been found on your computer from any of the browsers you have installed. If you wish LastPass to store these leave them checked and click ‘Next’
12. LastPass will then give you the option to delete all of the unsecured passwords it has found. If you are happy to have LastPass store them for you check the ‘Remove all items’ option or one of the others if you wish to manually select some or all of the passwords you wish to keep on your computer
13. Installation and setup is complete. Select the options you wish LastPass to do and click ‘Next’
14. Open your web browser. Please note that you will have to manually authorise the installation of the LastPass add-on. If you see a message like those shown below please allow LastPass to install the browser add-on
15. Once your browser is opened, look for the LastPass icon at the top of your browser. If the icon is grey you are not currently logged on to LastPass. If it is red you are. LastPass should not be logged on the first time you open your browser after installation
16. Click the icon to open the logon dialog box and enter your password then click ‘Login’. Please note that if your computer or laptop has a fingerprint reader you may be invited to use this as your method of authenticating against LastPass instead of manually inputting your password. Follow the onscreen instructions to set this up
17. You will then be presented with the list of passwords (if any) that LastPass detected as part of the setup procedure in your browser which are now stored securely on your computer. Feel free to close this browser window
Using LastPass to Generate or Change PasswordsLastPass has the ability to generate, insert and store high strength passwords for you as well as detecting and automatically filling out password fields for you when either joining a new site requiring password access or changing an existing online password. This short tutorial will show you how to use this rather handy feature. In this example I have chosen to create an account on avforums.com. This method will work on any site requiring you to fill out a new password field.
Ensure LastPass is logged in (see steps 16-17 above)
1. On a website registration page once you click on the password field you will get a browser toolbar appear asking whether you would like LastPass to generate a secure password. Click ‘Generate’
2. Once you have clicked ‘Generate’ a box will appear with a random, secure password shown in the dropdown box. If you are not happy with this password you can click ‘Generate’ and a new password will be generated. If you click ‘Accept’ the password will then be entered into all relevant fields and stored in your password vault
This procedure also works when changing an existing password on web sites. Once you click on a box to enter a new password LastPass will open a browser bar asking whether you would like it to generate a password for you and the steps are identical to those shown in the previous example.
To access the other features that LastPass has to offer such as automatic online form completion, credit/debit card details and many others simply click on the simply click on the LastPass Icon in your browser window.