• BETT 2011 - Capita and Stone Computers Demo

    Run throughs of the Stone NC109 rugged netbook and Capita iDevice software

    Comments 30 Comments
    1. FragglePete's Avatar
      FragglePete -
      Nice to see Capita's Remote Registration come of age and look useable. We tried it a few years back when it was based on PDA's and to be honest it was awful and unuseable which result in it being ditched.

      Might have to look at this in more detail again; shame we've got no money now!

      Pete
    1. Cache's Avatar
      Cache -
      Really like the Groupcall Emerge demo.

      If it had the medical details as well, then that would be a perfect product in effect and save me having to faff arround with exporting details using the CommandReporter in order to syncronise with the Blackberry we've just purchased for use on trips!
    1. alan-d's Avatar
      alan-d -
      Is that only available on Apple products or can it be used on any Tablet\Smartphone?
    1. vikpaw's Avatar
      vikpaw -
      Only iDevices due to the added security of them being digitally signed by apple, and having two-factor authentication.

      At the moment they don't trust the security of any other mobile device, because it will work offline, it could be prone to hacking at the stored data.

      I will check about medical info, which is a good idea as it would be really useful. It is shown in the groupcall demo video (linked by localzuk) but i think that is for a generic MIS, this video was the actual SIMS version of the product.

      The pricing for secondary schools was £299 for first unit, £99 for subsequent devices, and £2995 for a site licence. As i recall, quite a bit cheaper for Primary schools. Obviously, those prices are just for the app, and the initial cost is to get the server side software.

      Just finding out about primary prices. I did ask in the demo and it included secondary pricing, but the quality was poor and we truncated it in the end.
    1. ZeroHour's Avatar
      ZeroHour -
      Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
      Only iDevices due to the added security of them being digitally signed by apple, and having two-factor authentication.

      At the moment they don't trust the security of any other mobile device, because it will work offline, it could be prone to hacking at the stored data.
      LOL if I had realised that was the line they were taking I would have gone alone to beat down that stupid thought.
    1. localzuk's Avatar
      localzuk -
      Primary pricing is £1995 site license, or £195 for the first device, and £99 for each subsequent one. Also, these are yearly costs, not a one off.
    1. vikpaw's Avatar
      vikpaw -
      Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
      Primary pricing is £1995 site license, or £195 for the first device, and £99 for each subsequent one. Also, these are yearly costs, not a one off.
      Haha, typical that. I can't see very many schools going for a site licence. I barely spoke to 5 people who have them in their schools. However quite a few SMTs have iPhones, and they might like to add to their prestige.

      I did speak to many schools, who immediately can see this solving the problem of PE staff taking registers, so even if it's £299 + 4 staff = £695 p.a. That's not bad to solve the problem once and for all. At the moment our staff are not taking the registers or taking them on paper and entering on their return , etc. it's a pain. plus having info mobile like that is really useful.

      If the medical info is added, i would want our medical team to have iphones, they could synchronise daily and carry around life-saving info.
    1. localzuk's Avatar
      localzuk -
      Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
      Haha, typical that. I can't see very many schools going for a site licence. I barely spoke to 5 people who have them in their schools. However quite a few SMTs have iPhones, and they might like to add to their prestige.

      I did speak to many schools, who immediately can see this solving the problem of PE staff taking registers, so even if it's £299 + 4 staff = £695 p.a. That's not bad to solve the problem once and for all. At the moment our staff are not taking the registers or taking them on paper and entering on their return , etc. it's a pain. plus having info mobile like that is really useful.

      If the medical info is added, i would want our medical team to have iphones, they could synchronise daily and carry around life-saving info.
      We're thinking about it to be honest! Maybe going down the ipad route, as we want to move to electronic registers, and everyone would have to have the same device. So, a site of 32 staff (plus a couple of spares) would end up being £13k for iPads, plus £2k per year for the software.
    1. vikpaw's Avatar
      vikpaw -
      Interesting, i guess for a small site, that's pretty good. Our staff use the desktop that is in each classroom, though it's not actually that efficient.

      We have so many more staff, and primary + secondary so it's a lot harder to justify, though using the ipads as a tablet to control the pc as part of a lesson could make it multifunction if that were possible.

      I don't see why everyone 'has' to have the same device, it's easier if they do but not a necessity, or is it?

      We can't even get our primary staff to do registers on the computers, though it's more a management decision rather than negativity on the ground.
    1. localzuk's Avatar
      localzuk -
      Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
      I don't see why everyone 'has' to have the same device, it's easier if they do but not a necessity, or is it?.
      Politics.
    1. victory2009's Avatar
      victory2009 -
      have been told available for serco cmis in 2 weeks
    1. pottd's Avatar
      pottd -
      Thanks for confirming the primary pricing.

      Capita are also suggesting links to assessment in a future release. Hopefully teachers will be able to register a pupil, then tap the pupil name to see a summary the pupil's current level in each subject.

      If some of the SIMS Discover stuff also makes it into the app, no self-respecting member of the senior leadership team will be without it ;-)
    1. Max_Power's Avatar
      Max_Power -
      Solves alot of problems for registering during PE and on school trips etc. Not bad pricing for individual devices.

      As for the stone netbook with tablet - there were lots of this exact same device just rebranded on other stands, RM did it as did bt business direct and a few other suppliers , although from memory i think Stone may have been the cheapest.
    1. Simcfc73's Avatar
      Simcfc73 -
      Brilliant, the countries supposed to be saving money and all the heads will be looking at spending £600 on a tablet.

      At least they will be able to play Angry Birds too.
    1. JohnCondon's Avatar
      JohnCondon -
      Nice Video, shame no-one came over to look at WebFolder Mobile (Bromcom or Sims Direct) . It's already got behaviour and assessment in and Emerge bears a significant resemblance to it
      Imitation is the sincerest form of flaterry though :P
    1. localzuk's Avatar
      localzuk -
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
      Nice Video, shame no-one came over to look at WebFolder Mobile (Bromcom or Sims Direct) . It's already got behaviour and assessment in and Emerge bears a significant resemblance to it
      Imitation is the sincerest form of flaterry though :P
      What's the pricing like? (PM me if you want)
    1. localzuk's Avatar
      localzuk -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
      Brilliant, the countries supposed to be saving money and all the heads will be looking at spending £600 on a tablet.

      At least they will be able to play Angry Birds too.
      Nah, they're £350 now.
    1. JohnCondon's Avatar
      JohnCondon -
      @Localzuk - I'll PM you as I don't want to get embroiled in an advertising war I am a techie first and foremost!
    1. pottd's Avatar
      pottd -
      JohnCondon's right, Bromcom also showed a good product at BETT. There's good, strong competition for Capita in this area. More please!
  • Recent Posts

    rdk

    Google Drive unlimited - do you allow desktop app

    We're 1:1 fully gdocs and we don't have the desktop app installed on teachers or students. One reason is there's no need if your internet connection is

    rdk Today, 06:26 AM Go to last post
    has

    TV in the IT office

    We have one in our base. Got a busted netbook hooked up with sky go app. It's nice to catch up on missed program's when it's not too busy.

    has Today, 01:08 AM Go to last post
    matt40k

    SIMS App?

    Yer, believe it is, think its only if you have the private cloud (vpc) however.

    matt40k Today, 01:02 AM Go to last post
    mrbios

    Eclipse.NET Silverlight Management - Fingerprints missing

    Same problem we had, i updated myself, then spent a few days with one of their support people who remoted in twice who appeared to know about as much

    mrbios Today, 12:45 AM Go to last post
    penfold_99

    SIMS App?

    Is amazon aws IL3? If not advanced learning have made that call.

    penfold_99 Today, 12:43 AM Go to last post