In Stage 1 we have redesigned the navbar as well as switching to jQuery for forum tab generation along with other features.
We will be rolling out the changes for v5 over several stages for the next few days to allow final load testing with real load and complete testing (and sleep).
If you experience any issues please try to grab a screenshot and post it in the "Site Problems" forum.
Why is this page orange?
Microsoft Office 365 have sponsored the launch of EduGeek v5 by means of a *homepage take over* which involves integrating their branding to our site.
This styling is applied on our site homepage and the Cloud Services forum only and will last for 2 weeks.
Where are the themes?
A large array of themes are in the works currently and will be released in a later stage. Initially this makes fixing bugs a simpler process without having to streamline the themes consistently.
What's new in v5 stage 1:
* = Further explanation below.
- jQuery based tab generation
- AJAX Based thread refreshing (active later this evening) *
- Thread Prefix filtering *
- Negative rep disabled (more changes to come)
- Forum Runner & Tapatalk access *
- Jump to my last post button ►
- Now with added Facebook on the EduGeek Page
- Cloud Services - Ask questions about the various cloud services on the market
- Windows 8 - Post Windows 8 thoughts, problems and more here
- Windows Server 2012 - Like the Windows 8 forum, post your questions and problems with the newest server edition.
- New navbar styling
- New login window styling (2 additional improvements to be pushed later tonight)
- Tablet styling tweaks (more to come)
What's coming next:
All subject to change
- New frontpage design
- New Wiki System
- Last 5 threads in email notifications
- Automatic basic word filtering *
- Video Directory
- Improvements for Tablet devices
- Futher site styling changes
- More profile options
- New Blog notification icon
- New Forums
- New Mobile style
- And more...
AJAX Based thread refreshing
We had a similar feature to this in EduGeek v3 but when we went to v4 we didnt have a replacement solution until now.
This should prevent the occasions when your replying to a thread to find someone has answered it as you typed.
This feature will be activated later this evening/tomorrow to allow for real time testing.
Thread Prefix filtering
When you see prefixes listed in a forum you can now click the [Prefix] and the forum will filter the list to show only threads with that prefix.
Forum Runner & Tapatalk access
We have enabled plugins for both apps, we recommend Forum Runner over Tapatalk as we have had issues with their plugin which may result in Tapatalk being disabled at some point.
Warning: We will try to support both but please dont buy either just for use on EduGeek without realising that we may be forced to disable them in the future due to problems outside our control. We are looking at app solutions for mobiles as well which would be free but there is no eta.
iPhone/iPad App Store
Android Google Play Store
Automatic basic word filtering
We will cover the most obvious swear words to prevent issues where people have not really realised that their post may cause some schools filtering to block access to EduGeek.
When a swear word is automatically censored you will not receive a infraction unless you attempt to bypass the filter or post a large amount of expletives.
The feature will go live with a small set of words and from there we will add/remove as necessary as time progresses. You may discuss the addition/removal of words by contacting an admin using the Message the Admins forum where we will discuss the merits.