Wireless has, for the most part, been the bane of my existence as a Network Manager. It's flaky, it's unreliable and it can ruin your otherwise lovely day. Combined with some odd behaviour with Windows 7 and domains, student logins tend to be a bit of a lottery, with around a 1% chance of getting an error "there are no logon servers available..." and another 1% chance of logging in fine, but having no My Documents or Start Menu as they haven't mapped properly on login.
If you've worked with Windows 7 for any length of time, you're sure to have come across this error sooner or later. Most of the time it's relatively easy fix involving the registry, which you can find here (this works for Vista, windows 7 and 8:
User Profile Service failed the sign-in - Fix in Windows 8
However this one laptop was not playing ball. I'd ran through all of the above steps, and nothing, no new accounts could be created, the guest account wasn't working
When it announces that it's going to restart in 15 minutes to complete windows updates. at 10:15. And it's the server that hosts the virtual server with SIMS installed.
I had thought I had prevented disaster using this guide:
and then running gpupdate /force
However, this turned out to be a false hope, as a phone call from reception to tell me that SIMS
I rarely buy hardware as a complete package, preferring to build my own PCs, however when it comes to Laptops, I felt I ought to play it safe and buy from a brand. I wanted a laptop that was powerful enough to handle the odd game (think UFO: Enemy Unknown rather than Crysis) and wasn't going to break the bank. After much deliberating, I decided on the GE60 by MSI. On paper, it had the right specs, a decent graphics card, fast processor combined with 8GB RAM. The only drawback was the hard drive,
It's that time of the year again when I have to start looking at disabling spell check on Word for various Mock Exams. If only Wordpad had headers and footers, I wouldn't need to go through this every year...
Anyway, having updated to Office 2010 over the summer, my previous group policy objects aren't going to work with Office 2010, so time for a new way of doing things.
First of all, I'll credit the website where I got the info, and feel free to follow them rather than my