+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Yorkshire & Humberside Grid for Learning (YHGfL) Thread, Sophos.. again in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Hi Guys Having got back to school on monday i have found several of my school servers have stopped updating ...
    Thank Post

Sophos.. again

Hi Guys

Having got back to school on monday i have found several of my school servers have stopped updating sophos. So i rebooted them as usual however that hasnt fixed the error.

07/09/2011 07:58:29 Error Synchronize operation failed when synchronizing product release 'Windows Endpoint Security and Control' because of a checksum error. Details: Checksum error: 2c2c46e60ececc13f61d761aa5756bf5

Ive found the 2c2c* file and placed it in the warehouse dir's but as soon as i tell EC to update it claims another checksum error and deletes the file. (Downloaded the file directly from Index of /libraryv4)

(sarcasm) Can we go back to ec 3? it worked and was a lot better than what sophos has pushed out recently. (/sarcasm)

Thank Post
    Do you update via the YHGfL? I only ask because mine has not updated since the 2nd of September.

--Edit--

Lol ignore the redundant question. I really shouldn't click a link on the homepage and reply without looking at what forum it's in.

Anyway, I update via YHGfL and mine hasn't updated. I was going to try a restart tonight.

Thank Post
    Oh yes, i have always updated via YHGFL.

And since yhgfl moved from 3.1 to 4, 4.5 and now 4.7 ive had NOTHING but trouble with all my servers, cant find this file, cant download that file, checksum errors... im sick of it really am :P

most of my servers stopped updating mid august by the looks of it. The one im working on at the momenbt stopped on the 11th of august.

Thank Post
    Alrighty, new error now after clearing our the warehouse and working directories:

07/09/2011 09:00:23 Error Synchronize operation failed when synchronizing product release 'Windows Endpoint Security and Control'. Details: File copy failed.

and also

07/09/2011 09:00:56 Error Synchronize operation failed when synchronizing the protection data for product release 'Windows Endpoint Security and Control'. Details: Couldn't create catalogue sdds.local.xml

Just a suggestion but itd be great if we could ring sophos support and get support from them tbh instead of having to email you guys all the time. i hate hearing "oh we cant support you cause of your license etc" from sophos.

Thank Post
    Just been onto look at my other school and that's not updated since the 7th of July I guess the email warnings aren't working/setup correctly. I'll see if I get any checksum errors when I restart over night and let you know.

Thank Post
    Yea that sounds about right haha.

No worries, going to actually try emailing yhgfl now.. see if i cant get some help from them.

Thank Post
    If you get any info would it be possible to post it here or PM me? The one that hadn't updated since July has now decided to start working again of its own accord. So something must have crashed that started again when I opened the console.

Thank Post
    9 times out of 10 restarting the sophos update manager service works for me, if that doesnt i usually reboot the server, it gets annoying having to restart servers as often as twice a week or so but its a necessary evil to keep sophos up to date.

Any info i get from yhgfl ill stick on here, although last time i asked for info it took about 2 months to get an answer to something i had already fixed myself =-)

Thank Post
    Alrighty, i rang yhgfl yesterday and Marc made me a ticket. After about an half hour Chris brundell, one of their engineers team viewered into my server.

After a few hours of messing about and Chris doing a wonderful job we found that it's the new Kirklees proxy blocking access to the two files meaning they download incorrectly and thus fail checksum.

Were now on the case with Kirklees to get them to whitelist Sophos.yhgfl.net/*

10. Thanks to Bluetooth from:

mwalpole (9th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi,

If you are experiencing problems with Sophos, please do contact your normal point of contact for logging calls with us and we will get someone to look at your problems as soon as possible.

Regards

Marc

Thank Post
    Got the dreaded not updated since xxx here again. Got one uptodate with a restart of the Sophos Update Manager service but not the other. Just looking at the subscriptions what should I have selected? I have the 9.7 recommended selected but just noticed there are other 9.7.x etc versions listed below it?

Thank Post
    Any Update with Marc I notice other schools are getting the same issues

@Bluetooth have Kirklees whitelist it yet

Cheers thanks

Thank Post
    Hi,

Any issues with Sophos, please do log them to us as you would do normally. This way we can arrange for one of our engineers to look into and if needs be remote onto any servers which are not working as expected to resolve any issues you have.

Regards

Marc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtechsystems View Post
    Any Update with Marc I notice other schools are getting the same issues

@Bluetooth have Kirklees whitelist it yet

Cheers thanks
    Yes Kirklees unblocked this once we found out what the issue was. apologies on slow posting, only just noticed the mention.

all my sophos' have been updating and working well apart from the odd update manager service lockup meaning a reboot but apart from that alls well *touch wood*

16. Thanks to Bluetooth from:

mwalpole (10th October 2011)

Thank Post
    I know many in this thread may have sorted their problem with sophos out now, but I've just seen this on the yhgfl's sophos page and thought it's be worth sharing here for any future people trying to sort similar problems.

Enterprise Console Not Updating

We have had a number of reports that the Enterprise Console is failing to obtain updates.
    The Enterprise Console is reporting "Timeout" or "Downloading Binaries.."
    This is because the Update Manager Server has been put under control of itself.
    When it sends out the update policy to the EndPoints it references itself as the update location. So when the policy is applied the Update Manager tries to contact itself for updates as policies override local configuration.
    Please check the following points:

Make sure that the computer you have installed Enterprise Console on is in the UnAssigned Folder on the endpoints view.
    DO NOT use Active Directory Syncing, this will place the Update Manager under it's own policies
    You can use Active Directory Sync initially to bring the AD structure in, but make sure to move the Update Manager back to the unassigned group before running the protect computers wizard
    If after moving the Update Manager to the unassigned group and rebooting the server, you can still not update. Then you will need to first try REPAIR Sophos Management Console in Add/Remove Programs.
    If a REPAIR operation fails to rectify the issue then the final step which WILL is to select MODIFY on the Sophos Enterprise Console in Add Remove Programs, Select "This Feature Will Not Be Available" for the Management Server Component. Upon completion of the maintenance task, Select MODIFY again and this time select "This Feature Will Be Available on the Local Hard Drive". Effectively reinstalling JUST the Server Component.

We are still working with Sophos for a more complete solution.
    Source: sophos.yhgfl.net

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast