+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Yorkshire & Humberside Grid for Learning (YHGfL) Thread, Sophos... Kill me now... in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Hi.. I have had nothing but problems with sophos enterprise console since we upgraded from 3.1. Anyways, basically, upgraded to ...
    Thank Post

Sophos... Kill me now...

Hi..

I have had nothing but problems with sophos enterprise console since we upgraded from 3.1. Anyways, basically, upgraded to ec 4.. ec 4.5.. ec 4.7 and each time after a few days each one has stopped updating.

So, here comes the long bit. I upgraded all my schools week before last to EC 4.7 after multiple problems updating from the yhgfl sources. Finallyfound out in the end that yhgfl had wiped the sources and pushed endpoint 9.7 and stopped 9.5 updates. Anyway once i realised this fact (during the time i was waiting for yhgfl to get back to me regarding this haha) i got the updates rolling again.. that was up until friday.. now i get a bunch of error on proxy or gateway errors...

I beg you yhgfl, lets go back to sophos 3.1... it was just so much better.. i have spent most of my time in the last 2 weeks watching sophos like a hawk and whenever someone emails you guys you just kinda ignore them :-/

Looking after 5 schools and having to watch sophos is like.. you know.. hard work =-P

2. Thanks to Bluetooth from:

Marci (23rd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Whoo Hoo! Thought it was just me having the problems. I'm on YHGfL and upgraded to Sphos 4.5 at Christmas and since then have to keep an eye on it as it just stops getting the updates, sometimes a reboot of the server kicks it in to action but at one school not so (not had chance to check the others yet). Just starting to look at the upgrade to 4.7 as a solution but looks like that may not help although will still do it. Thanks for making me feel not alone!

4. Thanks to TechSupp from:

Bluetooth (22nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    Hey TechSupp

I was having the same issues. YHGFL stopped updates for endpoint 9.5 without telling anyone weeks ago. I finally upgraded to enterprise console 4.7 thinking that would fix it. Finally noticed the "9.7 recommended" option in subscriptions and they finally started downloading.

So far ive stopped all the services, restarted them.. i dont fancy restarting the server atm as there are kids in the IT room atm. It looks like the sophos update manager service keeps getting stuck or something.. i just tried restarting it and it just crapped out on me.. lets go back to 3.1... that at least worked haha =-)

Thank Post
    Hi Bluetooth

I think the sophos console getting stuck and refusing to update randomly is actually a sophos issue. I get the same problems when trying to update via a proxy direct to sophos.

I do agree with the silent upgrades and changes though, should be advertised when something changes which is going to affect schools in the grid.

Thank Post
    I'll look at the subscription option when I get a chance. Not done upgrade yet as requires reboots which seems to annoy teachers when its the middle of the day somehow! Will do it when they have all gone homne via VPN. Thought I was going mad with the errors!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevee View Post
    Hi Bluetooth

I think the sophos console getting stuck and refusing to update randomly is actually a sophos issue. I get the same problems when trying to update via a proxy direct to sophos.

I do agree with the silent upgrades and changes though, should be advertised when something changes which is going to affect schools in the grid.
    Totally agree on that fact, it stops and random times which is very odd. I was told in sophos ec 4 that there were some serious bugs with the program which were causing problems with the authentication on the update sources and i havent been told to put usernames and passwords back in yet.

Regarding the silent change, there is now a little ditty on the front page of sophos.yhgfl.net saying how to rectify the issue hehe, woulda been nice a few weeks ago =-)

Thank Post
    I'm also having issues on half of my sites - all have exactly the same setup, were all installed exactly the same way, but some just don't get the updates, I've tried re-installing and messing about the the SQL database as their website suggests, but no luck. Will look at 9.7 now cheers!

Thank Post
    Its good to know i wasnt the only one, felt like a fool lol

Thank Post
    Ah superb... explains all MY problems also...!

Thank Post
    just updated also (all looks good so far )

Thank Post
    Hi Everyone,

The message to update to 9.7 has been on the front page of sophos.yhgfl.net for some time now.

Sophos will still give updates for version 9.5 until 2013. However as new versions come out, we want to stay current so we recommend that you should now be running 9.7.

You'll notice that the recommended subscription can only have 1 version, 9.0, 9.5, or 9.7, we have chosen to use the most up to date and recent version, to keep you protected against the latest threats.

Standalone EndPoint installs which update directly from our EC servers will automatically upgrade between versions as they are added to our servers.

Many enterprise products hold back updates from clients until they have been approved, example of Windows Software Update Services, where it notifies the Admin of updates and once approved they are rolled out. Difference here is that Sophos EC doesn't have the nice friendly notifications which windows does (we have spoken with sophos and requested they add this feature).

Enterprise Console subscription version won't auto-increment; it has to be done manually (or with approval in our WSUS analogy)
    We have today implemented version caching on our repository as a workaround to prevent users needing to change subscriptions when new versions are released. New version notifications will be issued on sophos.yhgfl.net and via our twitter feed YHGFL_Technical to allow users to switch versions in their own time.

Unfortunately Sophos retired version 3, so there is no way we can put this back in place. As with many types of software, newer versions often have a few issues that need working out before it runs as smoothly as the older version. We have no control over when Sophos retire their products. Further information can be found on Sophos - Software lifecycle

We are trying to find out why Sophos have this set as a manual change, and we are asking for a "Stay Current" option. All news on Sophos updates, retirements etc will be posted on Sophos.yhgfl.net and on our twitter feed @YHGfL_Technical as we receive them.

Regards

Marc

14. Thanks to mwalpole from:

speckytecky (30th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks Marc.

In my case it's very rare that I check the sophos.yhgfl.net website - except for doing new installations. If you could drop an email to the school office accounts for big changes like this that would be great. I'll pm you the email address to send to all schools.

Cheers,

Dom

Thank Post
    Hi Dom,

We can set up an RSS feed to send updates, if you want to subscribe to updates on Sophos. Is this something you would be interested in?

Regards

Marc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mwalpole View Post
    Hi Dom,

We can set up an RSS feed to send updates, if you want to subscribe to updates on Sophos. Is this something you would be interested in?

Regards

Marc
    Probably not something I'd use - might be useful for some though?

Thank Post
    Will have to have a coffee and read those Sophos notes again, just gave me a headache!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast