+ Post New Thread
Yorkshire & Humberside Grid for Learning (YHGfL) Thread, Libproxy issues in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Morning chaps - just to report, we've been having major issues with libproxy for a month now. Type in website ...
    Thank Post

Libproxy issues

Morning chaps - just to report, we've been having major issues with libproxy for a month now.

Type in website address, hit GO, and we end up sat looking at "waiting for [website]" in the status bar for anything up to 40 seconds before the site loads, IF it loads. A lot of the time it just heads for a timeout. Other times it's perfect. However, at no point can it be referred to as "reliable" for delivering a lesson.

Yes, it's been reported to our LEA, who have requested wireshark traces etc etc, which we've provided. Then they've requested more wireshark traces. I've spent days checking ISA server configs, pinging here there and everywhere, attempting traceroutes, trying to diagnose the issue.

If I simply flip all our staff onto secondaryproxy rather than libproxy, all works immediately, therefore, I conclude the problem is NOT here, and it's something outside of our building. We've now wasted a month of 100Mb internet access trying to resolve an issue that is not (as far as we can tell) within the scope of our property, and can't seem to make any headway in getting it resolved.

Any feedback or advice from yourselves at this point would be greatly appreciated, before I resort to shoving the entire school out of our 4Mb ADSL line.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Marci; 14th December 2010 at 12:07 PM.

Thank Post
    We don't use the libproxy much - we tend to use proxy.

I'll run a few tests tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Hi steve...!

Secondaryproxy = proxy... if testing libproxy it's on port 6665, but think EdIT have to grant access to it for you. We only run staff thru it for YouTube and teacherstv etc. EdIT say there's only 1 other school reporting similar issues. S'got me stumped! Cheers for having a look...

Can email you a wireshark trace so you can see what's going on if you like...?
    Last edited by Marci; 14th December 2010 at 10:07 PM.

Thank Post
    I've used the libproxy and it works ok for us - only a couple of machines though.

I'll try get some wireshark logs emailed to you.

Thank Post
    Conversations with EdIT have semi-confirmed it's a load issue...

Speaking with YHGfL, the libproxy is heavily used. We can see this ourselves by testing the response times of libproxy vs proxy. I've asked for data regarding this so if schools are sending all their traffic through libproxy, then we can educate them and take some of the burden off libproxy. Capacity on libproxy is not going to be increased at this stage due to preparations and planning for the new grid in April.
    ...they've suggested some methods we can use to reduce the necessity to use libproxy for the time being.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread